General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me to understand why some guys are like this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please help me to understand why some guys are like this...

I can't tell you how many times that a friend of mine has had to put their bike up for sale because "I'm having a new baby" or "The wife doesn't approve of me having a bike"...

Oh.my.god. Please tell me what exactly having a kid has to do with you having a motorcycle, or not having one, whatever the case.

If you need the money, yea, I get that, but I will be damned if some woman, don't care if she's wife or GF, tells me that I'm selling my Harley. If I was forced to chose between her or the bike, she'd be packing up her **** and walking out the door.
That's a BS hypothetical though, cause I would never be with any woman in the first place that has a problem with bikes. My girl has her own bike, and she rode even when she was pregnant.

If you've been a victim of this, ask your signifigant other to take your ***** out of her purse and staple them back on.

Thank you, Rant over.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

When you have a baby usually you want to spend all your free time with him/her as they grow. It is an experience of a life time and you only get one chance at it per child. I know many friends that have given up riding for a period of time until their child gets old enough. Nothing really unusual about that. As far as the wife or gf telling me to get rid of my bike well that is not something i have experienced so I will let those that have explain it.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 507 Likes on 279 Posts

I was once told," We are all different ". Thats it in a nut shell.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My ex knew I rode before we got together. She loved ridng on the back.
I never considered selling the bike when our two sons were born.
It wasn't our only means of transportation, so why sell it?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had a son, instead of selling my sled i bought him a sled hahahahaha. Nah all my toys are paid for, and told my vieja when i met her if shes gonna ask me to get rid of la sucia she better get to steppin

Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

for some it's money, a kid is damn expensive to raise.

but for most i'd imagine it's all in how you'll be able to spend your free time.

right now, in the spring summer and fall whenever i have free time i'm out on the bike. if i had a kid, well i'd want to spend as much time as i possibly could watching him or her grow up. ****, my cousin had a baby and made me the godfather and i still get over there and spend as much time as i can watching her grow up.

i still wouldn't sell the bike though. after the baby grows up and is able to be taken places, there's gonna be time to get out on the bike, so if i wasn't desperately strapped for cash i wouldn't sell my scoot.

as for the other scenario, i'd help her pack if it came down to "me or the bike"

Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Three wives
one Daughter
It was never the bike
It was my inability to adjust to society
Even as a FF and an EMT-B
Retired and still have the inability to adjust
"they" say it was the way I lived my life plus other shiite
IDUNNO

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a '95 Wide Glide when the wife and I got married, it was my only transportation. She understood that no matter how tight things got the bike wasn't going anywhere.

My daughter was born less than a year later and my son 19 months after that. My wife worked until 5 pm and I started work at 2 pm. I needed another vehicle to haul the kids to day care and never got to ride the bike. Raising two young kids takes up all of your time.

Money was tight so I made the decision to sell the bike and get a used truck, she actually fought me on the idea. Once the kids got older I went out and bought a new bike.

I'm making up for the lost riding time now and both of the kids like to ride with me when they can.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh.my.god. Please tell me what exactly having a kid has to do with you having a motorcycle, or not having one, whatever the case.
Also, riding a motorcycle is dangerous, and some women are pretty adamant about not having the father of their children taking unnecessary risks. I can understand that. My wife and my girlfriend are not like that, so...

If you need the money, yea, I get that, but I will be damned if some woman, don't care if she's wife or GF, tells me that I'm selling my Harley. If I was forced to chose between her or the bike, she'd be packing up her **** and walking out the door.
Some people who genuinely love their partner will do things to make them happy and to maintain a good relationship, and sometimes that means giving things up to make the other person happy.

I suspect that if riding was as important to these people as it is to you, they probably would have partnered up with someone else.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes a person's desire to have a bike is greater than his ability to pay for it.

Quick Reply: Please help me to understand why some guys are like this...