Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulator and Stator

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Been upgrading shovels with aftermarket 32amp stators and regs since they hit the market haven't had any fail yet that was component related . Lost a couple regs that wiring grounded out on , owners not paying attention to things . I put one in my sig pic shovel been 15 yrs ago has to be over 200,000 mi. , the aftermarket cheaper stuff seems to hang just fine . Seen a lot of fried OEM stuff over the years , and as a couple posts have stated you have to look at complete system . The 2 big weak points are the plug connection at the case getting loose or coming off and grounded or loose wires at the battery .

With all the fancy new heated stuff , stereos and lights your charging system takes a beating on those new bikes .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-18-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Upgraded with a Cycle Electric 3-phase system on the Ultra and will do the same on the FXR when the need arises. Dead batteries and charging systems that don't keep up **** me off like a flat tire.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm on my 4th OEM stator in 68,000 miles over 4 years, and it will be the last. Going with a Cycle Electric 3 phase next time.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HD OEM anything are built to minimum specs on a low price bid basis... why does anyone replace a worn out part with the "same ol, same ol". Use your god given imagination and break the mold... aftermarket parts direct from the manufacturer of those parts is typically the best way to go. After all they have to go out into the marketplace and compete where HD really doesn't embrace that idea in full yet... but notice that HD is starting to offer aftermarket parts as a "premium" substitute part... wonder why???

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RENORRIS
My stator is fried do I go back with HD stator and regulator or aftermarket
with one is the best?
I'd be interested in knowing some info on the bike your asking about. It would have everything to do with the type of answer I'd give specific to your needs.

A large percentage of bikes have undersized charging systems for the requirements. So any and all accessories that you have need to be considered.

Some bikes can handle the biggest system, which is 3 phase and creates a large recharge current. It would seem the guys that have had to repeatedly replace them have used the same size system. My thinking that upgrading, like I did, would be a benefit to many instead of putting the same system back in that is overloaded and kills the stator.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
HD OEM anything are built to minimum specs on a low price bid basis...
Do you know this for a fact or are you just another Harley basher?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Do you know this for a fact or are you just another Harley basher?
I have been a HD owner and rider for 47 years and I am not a HD basher... just know for a fact that "bidding" out specs is the way that they have operated in everything that they have done over the years... and their history shows that they have awarded those bids to the lowest bidder in almost every case. It's an easy trail to trace if you had followed them the way that I have over the years. By the way they still use that same bid process... even for their T shirts and lubricants, as well as their China made zinc(sic?) bolts and screws.

Back to the original thread subject... my feeling is that since one has to change or replace a part because of that parts failure, why would one replace it with the same spec part? There are more reliable and better built parts available in the after market arena, so why not venture out. Forcing HD to build their bikes with better parts the first time around is a good thing... a major catalyst in doing just that is to stop buying their replacement parts until they are on par with aftermarket suppliers.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawg
Thanks for the link!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
RENORRIS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 Fat Bob with 12400 miles

Quick Reply: Regulator and Stator