General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one eyed-eye patch???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

your distance perception beyond about 4 yards will change, SIGNIFICANTLY.
Stay very aware of how far behind vehicles you are, then drop back more. On coming vehicles will appear further away than they really are as well, so take that into consideration.

Your brain will take about a month to adjust to processing distance info from your good eye so that your perception is correct, so take it real easy until you are comfortable again.

Cornering may feel a little weird as well, again due to your brain having to retune its distance perception.

It will all come good in about a month, until then take it real easy.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ain't blind, but having enough problems in my left eye that I may be better off with a patch.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/off-t...-floaters.html

Screws with my depth perception and when I'm changing lanes to the left I nearly break my neck truning round to see.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

wore a patch for about 4 months myself after almost putting an eye out and haveing to have surgery on the one.
your depth perseption really changes a lot so give yourself some time with that before jumping on the scoot....take some rides in the cage for a while to get used to the depth perseption down...will take a bit but it comes back to you after a while then you wont even notice it it will just be a normal thing again

Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine lost sight in his left eye. He had ridden most of his adult life and when he lost sight it was during the off season. I told him when spring came I would be more than willing to ride with him. When we went riding for the first time we decided it would be best for me to be on his left side which was a good thing since he found himself having a difficult time staying him his lane. Couple times I had to yell at him to get his azz over. His biggest problem as taking corners to his left but after a couple days riding he was good to go. Night time riding was a serious problem for him because of his fear of moose. I told him that I have both my eyes and they still scare the **** out of me. he is a good dude and has continued to put on lots of miles. Take it easy, you should be fine!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Kirk65
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Thread, Relli. I thought about starting a thread on this subject a month or so ago. I was Diagnosed with Gluacoma at age 11. I am legally blind in my left eye. It does mess with depth perception. I started riding after the loss so can not compare the difference.
I gave great consideration to the fact before I took the MSF course. 2 years in and no problems. I do not wear a patch. Eye looks normal with exception of lazy eye. I was wondering if others rode with use of one eye though. Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

About twenty years ago I injured my left eye (non-dominate) in a tractor accident. Wore a patch for two months, it was a major PITA. Depth perception is affected plus, I had to turn my head so much more trying to make up for that lost vision. Practice a while first before you jump on the scoot. It does take some getting used to.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 113 Posts

Have a Friend who lost his left eye he put a spot mirror on left under side of handlebars and never slowed down!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That patch will make you look bad-***.

Better practice up on your biker skowl™.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20/200 in my left eye since 05....wore a patch for a little while, but with glasses it's hard to wear a patch...started riding again in June of 2010...everything's good except depth perception....mostly when you're trying to set a glass on a table or edge of something...i'm just really careful when i'm on 2 wheels.....

Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see i'm not the only "one-eyed fat man" around

Quick Reply: one eyed-eye patch???