General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pricing on new hd's

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 AM
jisananimal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pricing on new hd's

So I am planing on buying my first bike. I'm just curious if all HD's have set prices. (Would I be able to negotiate the price?) Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In England no ..... In America all over the place !

Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 AM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Money talks,especially in this economy and time of year. Go in with a pocket full of cash and you may do ok. Just be prepared to get up and walk out if deal isn't for you.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

Completely different set up here in England if your credits good they would sooner take that than cash that way they get mark up price and the credit company gets the business ....

Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM
jisananimal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DMacLeod
Money talks,especially in this economy and time of year. Go in with a pocket full of cash and you may do ok. Just be prepared to get up and walk out if deal isn't for you.
yea thats what i was thinking...sales tax in the bay area is 9.5%!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

expect to pay m.s.r.p.. tell the dealer you will not pay for set-up and freight. he had to pay freight and set-up to get bike ready to put on showroom floor and then hope he can sell it. fair deal for all. dealer should throw in 1k service and offer a discount on accessories for 60-90 days. this gives you a chance to ride bike and figure out what changes you want to make. you will be receiving a HOG membership in the deal. several dealers will offer a 10% discount on parts and service if you go ahead and join their local chapter. after that, either do your own maintenance(keep receipts if warranty issue arises) or expect to pay the dealers high prices for service and parts.

DON'T FORGET TO GET A T-SHIRT THROWN IN TOO.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
FBRR
Tourer

I would expect to pay LESS than MSRP! There are plenty of dealers that need a sale!! I purchased a bike last year and it was under MSRP.
This is not the the "old days" when I had to wait a year for my bike order to arrive!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sort of tough to make a general statement. Some of it depends on the dealer and whether or not they are in a pinch...which usually appears near the end of the month when they are trying to meet their numbers.

Some of it will also depend on the model of the bike you are interested in. Some models sell better than others, hence the dealing make not be as much. Certainly anything out of the CVO (Screaming Eagle) shop you probably aren't going to find a dealer willing to deal all that much on, although they might throw in a 1K service. As someone else said...expect to pay MSRP, but with that you should get a 1K service, some period of time where you get 10-20% off of store purchases, and definitely they should throw in a t shirt or two.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to several dealers, found a deal 112 miles away. $3200 under MSRP.
The day after Christmas. You will get the best deals in dead winter.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if you walk in the last day of the month can you work out a better deal? This works with car dealers just not sure if works at Harley dealers.

Quick Reply: pricing on new hd's