General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on Tollways

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Riding on Tollways

I have a couple of tollways close to the house that I avoid because I don't have a toll tag on my bike. While the tollways offer a cash option where you don't need a tag and they bill you instead, the rates are much higher (50%) than with a tag. I have an account with our local toll authority but I hate the idea of sticking a tag on my wind shield. Do you guys ride tollways and are there other places to put the toll tag on a bike?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Here in FL if the tag is registered with an account and you go through without the transponder on the system will take a picture as you pass and bill your account at the regular rate. I don't normally carry the transponder on the bike but if I do I just put it in my jacket pocket. That being said if you look at where the sensors are on the asphalt and don't go over them it's a free ride. As long as you stay in the whir lines and go through the gate it would be hard to prove you have violated any laws.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

In my part of Texas, the sensors are above with bright lights and cameras. No way to get through without a nice picture taken of your license plate. I can't add another vehicle to my account without getting a tag for it. However, it just occurred to me that I could get a tag and place it in the bag attached to my windshield. Duh!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the Tollways here in N. Texas as well.

Half the time I never get billed on my account,the other half can take a month or two for it to show up.

At first I thought something was wrong with my tag.There were times I actually held it up with my left hand over my head.Still didn't read.
Traded it in for the new thin flexible job. No difference.

I called the people about it and they told me not to worry about the tag not reading.They review the camera shot,run the plate and if you do have an account for the bike,you get charged the rate for having a tag.

I no longer worry about it and ride them free half the time.

I do think if you stay just to the side of the white lines it doesn't "see" you.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

@Apex - Thanks. Good to hear tollway experiences from someone in my area.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what everyone means by "tag," but I carry a transponder unit that I just carry in a jacket pocket. It works by radio waves and being in a pocket doesn't obstruct radio waves. With the I-pass system you can register multiple vehicles on one transponder.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the flat stick on that I put on the left side of my windshield. Don't ever notice it, never have been sent a zip cash bill. I have not even noticed it on my account, but I do not ride on the tollway that often.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesDyna
However, it just occurred to me that I could get a tag and place it in the bag attached to my windshield. Duh!
That's what I do.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
Not sure what everyone means by "tag," but I carry a transponder unit that I just carry in a jacket pocket. It works by radio waves and being in a pocket doesn't obstruct radio waves. With the I-pass system you can register multiple vehicles on one transponder.
Tag = Transponder

North Texas Toll Authority calls them toll tags.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
Here in FL if the tag is registered with an account and you go through without the transponder on the system will take a picture as you pass and bill your account at the regular rate.
Same here in Illinois. I have my bike registered to the transponder in my truck and have never received a ticket.

Quick Reply: Riding on Tollways