General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on Tollways

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride N TX tollways with my tag in the bag. It picks up fine. If you don't have a tag they will now bill you based on your plate #. Having a tag is much less expensive than the billing option.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Same here in Illinois. I have my bike registered to the transponder in my truck and have never received a ticket.
They were just talking about that on AM 780 last week, and they said the I-pass system will only let that slide so many times, and then they start fining you.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny
They were just talking about that on AM 780 last week, and they said the I-pass system will only let that slide so many times, and then they start fining you.
O.K., I went to the source to get the official answer on whether or not you should carry your I-Pass with you...here it is right from the I-Pass site:

What happens if I forget my transponder and accidentally use the I-PASS lanes? Can I pay the unpaid toll online?
If your vehicle is registered to the account, and your account is in good standing, the toll will automatically be deducted from your account as a Video-Toll (V-Toll.) Vehicles registered to an I-PASS account cannot pay unpaid tolls online. Please note that excessive V-Tolls will result in penalties.

I will continue carrying my I-Pass in my jacket pocket as usual.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate toll roads. I don't like the idea of paying twice. Our wonderful state gooberment ignored the will of the people and building the Trans Texas Corridor anyway. The section that is near me, I have been tempted to RUN it. I don't think those cameras will be able to see my LP with it tucked up under the tour pak.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in FL we use Sunpass and I have a transponder that's a little bigger than a deck of cards. I think in the Northeast it's called it Easy Pass (?) It normally mounts on the car's windshield with suction cups but it would never stay on a bike's shield with the the shape and vibration. When I use it on my bike I put it in the center pouch of my three windshield bags. I guess they've gone away from using those now and are handing out some stick on patch thing. It looks like it has a chip like the smart badges we get for our IDs now. I saw one but it said don't stick it to a bike's windshield too. I know a lot of guys with shark nose and UC fairings put them in those and they seem to work just fine. Now if they could make the whole toll system read any transponder and bill you it'd get real convenient.