General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on Tollways

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Same here in Illinois. I have my bike registered to the transponder in my truck and have never received a ticket.
I'll have to try that Geoff. Sounds like I may be carrying the transponder for nothing.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Same here in Illinois. I have my bike registered to the transponder in my truck and have never received a ticket.
+1...we've had this discussion many times locally. One guy even told-off the Toll Way when they instructed him to "hold the transponder up as you pass through." You want me to let go of my handlebars to hold up your transponder?

I registered my plates and DO NOT carry the transponder. IL Tollway's cameras only pick up about 1/2 to tolls I go through, but I'm legal!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago 03 King
+1...we've had this discussion many times locally. One guy even told-off the Toll Way when they instructed him to "hold the transponder up as you pass through." You want me to let go of my handlebars to hold up your transponder?

I registered my plates and DO NOT carry the transponder. IL Tollway's cameras only pick up about 1/2 to tolls I go through, but I'm legal!
Rather than hold the transponder up while riding through, might be safer to just reach back with your left hand and cover (errr I mean adjust) the plate.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Swede405
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the NTTA, you can get away with having the account and not mounting the tag. I've had a few friends that used to do it. They'll just bill the account at the account rate as they run the photos. Alternatively, the new tag is strong enough that you can keep it in a fork bag, or mounted somewhere out of the way and it will usually register.

Or you could always just jump it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdFXWZNIBVA

Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesDyna
In my part of Texas, the sensors are above with bright lights and cameras. No way to get through without a nice picture taken of your license plate. I can't add another vehicle to my account without getting a tag for it. However, it just occurred to me that I could get a tag and place it in the bag attached to my windshield. Duh!
It's the OL's job to hold her hands over the tag at those toll passes.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:39 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont know if it works in other states but was told by a friend that for the Illinois toll all you have to do is ride the white line separating the lanes. For some reason the camera cant get a clear pic of the plate. Straddle the line in a cage...same results.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
pcbertsch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The N Dallas Toll is in the process of removing the need for a pass. You just drive through, and they bill you later. I only know this because I have family in Plano, and was there a few weeks ago. They sent a letter describing the whole break down with a time line of 12 months in the D/FW Metro Plex.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
sat4314
Road Captain
Received 1,735 Likes on 81 Posts

keep my ez pass in jacket inner breast pocket and never had a problem

Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swede405

That made my day. The only thing better would've been dixie playing via air horn.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That video made me laugh. I'd love to see that in real life.

As for me on toll roads, I just hold up the line while I put the bike in neutral, put the kickstand down, take off gloves if wearing them, and dig through my pocket for cash.

Originally Posted by Swede405

Quick Reply: Riding on Tollways