Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LeatherUp vs Schott

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dortiz
Ok, Ok its almost over. The Fox Creek shows as arrived on UPS so it should be on my doorstep. Of course unless it amazes me I think it will go back tomorrow.
Here is sadly where I have ended up.
Lost World Horeshide and a Langlitz Goat Skin. Working on measurements.

Had to sell my SLR Canon just for jackets!!

doritz, doritz, doritz. Why are you getting the goat skin? Good looking and tough leather but thin, soft and does not hold any shape. Your jacket will just be hanging or draping over you in a year. Get the Langlitz "heavy" leather.

Just trying to keep you deciding (undecided?).

Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes, in my opinion. But there are others on this forum that swear by the Langlitz goat skin.

I think it depends on what look you want. I have seen a goat skin Columbia that I did not like because the collar was just folded looking (not a good description but I don't know now of a better one) and the jacket appeared saggy on the person. I have a medium weight cowhide Columbia that is over 20 years old and it still looks like a Columbia in the pictures in the Langlitz catalog. If I get another, I will get the heavy cow because I have seen some and they are impressive. The goat skin might be better suited for the Cascade.

Please do not make a decision solely on my observations. To my knowledge I have only seen that one goat skin Columbia and I do not know how it had been treated or how old it was. Like I said there are several members of this forum that love their goat skin Langlitz jackets and I know Dave at Langlitz thinks they are excellent.

And one last thought. I see you as just like me in searching for the perfect jacket. I have or have had too many including Langlitz, Schott, Vanson, Brooks, FXRG, regular Harley, Fox Creek, etc. There is no perfect jacket for people like us. They might seem perfect for awhile but sooner or later we think we need or want another.

It ain't heroin but it's at least close to methadone.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 02-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

FOX CREEK!! This coat is not going back, its freakin awesome. Fit, leather quality, zippers, everything I could want in a jacket.
For me its a clear winner over the Vanson, Schott and of course Leather Up.
The Langlitz is out for me simply because the FC fits perfectly, no need.

I still want a Horsehair so Lostworlds it is to compliment this great FC.

By the way, FC answered my email the next morning at 8am and by 12 had shipped my jacket.

Very Happy!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Good. Which model Fox Creek did you get? You may have mentioned it earlier but I don't want to go back over this entire thread. I ordered a Grayson and was very impressed with it but it just did not fit well so I returned it. I hated to return it because I got it for 20 or 25% off.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

The Greyson. I am that exact body type. Lift weights so 44 chest but only five eight. The coat fits like it was tailored. I lucked out. Man its great quality. Sorry it did not work out. Sounds like you need to try Aero now..

Old 02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Aero. Haha, I need to save some money or sell some of my jackets on ebay. My Grayson was a 46 but the sleeves were a little too long. They would have been fine for riding but I wanted to also wear it off the bike. Even then it would have worked if the cuffs had zipped a little tighter. Also the collar was too tight. If I tried to use the neck curtain I could not snap the collar or even zip it up completely. Nice jacket though.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dortiz
The Greyson. I am that exact body type. Lift weights so 44 chest but only five eight. The coat fits like it was tailored. I lucked out. Man its great quality. Sorry it did not work out. Sounds like you need to try Aero now..
Fox Creek jackets really are a quality piece of gear. I was amazed at how supple the leather was considering it's thickness and how it felt already broken in. My wife even commented on how well it fit me. When I bought mine, I ordered a Vented Racing Jacket on a Wed. afternoon and it was on my doorstep on Friday. IMHO it was money well spent.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:40 PM
cdculbertson
Tourer

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Fox Creek jackets really are a quality piece of gear. I was amazed at how supple the leather was considering it's thickness and how it felt already broken in. My wife even commented on how well it fit me. When I bought mine, I ordered a Vented Racing Jacket on a Wed. afternoon and it was on my doorstep on Friday. IMHO it was money well spent.
+1 I have both the FCL Commander and Vented Racing jackets and love them both. The fit of the Vented Racing jacket is better for my build, but both are top notch jackets. I only recently received the Vented Racing Jacket, but it has already become my favorite. I'll still keep my H-D textile FXRG for the time being though, as it's waterproof.

Glad the OP finally found a jacket that works for him, though I will kind of miss reading his latest adventures in buying jackets.