General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob vs Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Road King is a dream for an entry Tourer. It is about 4k more than the stock Super glide Custom.

The customized one with the Orange flat core series custom paint on the parts catalog cover was at the International Motorcycle Show. I am still walking funny from how that bike made me feel.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I agonized between the SB and SGC for about 2 weeks and settled on the SGC. Reason? it just seemed to suit me and the kind of riding i do a little better. Its a great all rounder. I can bar hop, commute, or load it up for a trip.

Not taking anything away from the SB, great bike as well and would have happily owned one if the FXDC wasn't available.

As for the cleaning part, i think you'll find that in either case you'll spend as much time cleaning either, so i wouldnt let that influence the decision.

Have to say though that the stock FXDC seat is CRAP, at least my butt thinks it is, other Butts opinions may differ.

I stuck on a mustang vintage solo, waaaaay more comfy, and have the pillion pad for 2 up.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
I know this topic has been touched on a few times, i've used the search tool and google a lot but want to hear something from some guys (or gals) with experience. I'm not too boisterous on the forums but i've been here reading and learning for a while.

Anyway, I've been riding for about a year, i've always been interested but never really had the ***** to just up and get a Harley. Last year i got married, my wife's dad is a long time biker and she's always had this dream to be driven to the aisle by her dad. We took it a step further and i actually learned to ride so i could drive her off after the ceremony. It was awesome and I'm totally hooked! To prepare, a few months before i took a rider course and lucky for me, her dad has two bikes so we practiced in parking lots and we still go on rides to this day.

For the wedding, we rented a Softail Heritage and the bike i've been riding for the last year is her Dad's gold 2003 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (that bike is a ****ing beast!). I'm not trying to brag, but just showing that i have experience on the bigger, heavier bikes.

So that brings me to my topic discussion: Im ready to get my first bike and i've narrowed it down to the Superglide Custom or the Street Bob. I think the Super Glide is my dream bike at this point, but here are my few concerns.

- Personally, i feel if i see another "blacked out" Street Bob on the road im going to puke, but I currently live in a condo so it's a covered parking spot situation. Outside is open to the elements (luckily I'm in San Diego, CA so no snow or anything major, but it gets chilly in the winter and when it rains it pours!) I know the Super Glide has a lot more chrome. Would a flat black Street Bob possibly be a more practical solution so I don't buy something that's just going to deteriorate in a parking lot?

-Also in my research, i know the Super Glide is the "best handling Dyna". I personally haven't touched a pair of Ape Hangers. How hard is it to get used to and does it dramatically affect your riding? I've read that freeway riding is rough due to the parachute effect. Is it just unbearable to ride on freeways?

-Also the Glide seems to be more equipped for the type of riding I'd do. it's got the two-up seat, seams more comfy for longer trips. Really i guess i can't be labeled a specific type of rider. I like the back country stuff, the freeways, the long trips and the short run to the bar so really i need a good all round bike.

Sorry for the rant, i'd like to hear from some guys that have ridden a few bikes and can give some advice- not so much the "i own a Street Bob and it rocks". Let's hear some intelligent conversation and opinions! Thanks in advance!

"Also in my research, i know the Super Glide is the "best handling Dyna"

first time i heard this. I would put the low rider higher in the "best handling" catagory...too bad they discontinued it. I was highly impressed with the "new" Wide glide too. That was a pretty damn nice ride.

anyway - your worried about chrome? in San freakin Diego???? LOL. I live in NE Ohio. There is "real" bad weather here. Wax the chrome once or twice a season. It will be fine.

Ride both. Hell- ride all the Dynas... Pick the one you like to ride better. Not all that hard.
you are making this way harder than it should be. Go to a dealer. Ride every dyna. Ride them twice. But the one that feels best to you.

oh - make sure the passenger seat is nice and comfy. Trust me on this one.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dblkick
I loved my StreetBob but for 2 up riding I think your wife will hate it!
+1 Better check the passenger peg issue on the Dynas. The pegs are on the swingarm and lots of women hate the beating they take on longer rides. If you are planning lots of 2 up get a Street Glide or a RK. JMHO.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Black is cool.... Have had chrome, like black much better.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for all the great opinions and info everyone! I think Super Glide is the winner for me, which i originally thought, but somehow the Street Bob caught my eye a short time. Super Glide definitely fits my riding and life style way better. See ya on the road!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
johnwyz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same decision to make last fall. Came down to looks for me, and that is something that no one can help you with. Chrome don't get you home, but it sure looks nice.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The FXDC gives one far more bang for the buck between the two. I got the FB mini apes installed on my FXDC. I feel very comfortable with the apes even at highway speeds.

I got the Mustang seat front and rear, which makes a world of difference in comfort over stock. Get everything in "quick release" and in a matter of seconds you can go from a 2 up look to the solo.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

So another kink in my plan!! I went to the Harley dealer today and test drove both. I actually like the feel of the Street Bob better. Im 6'1', tall and lanky. The mini apes feel a little better than the handlebars of the Super Glide. This is extremely frustrating! I love how the Super Glide looks, it's dripping with style but something feels off. If i were single I'd probably go with the Bob out of sheer practicality, but it's still the issue of the 2 up seating and pegs with the Super Glide. I'd get more for my money obviously. Quite honestly the Street Bob isn't my style at all, I'm no One percenter, but it feels so much better.

So should i go with what FEELS the best and may take some $$$ to convert to what i need, or go with what feels alright and is pretty much set up for what i need bone stock. Tough decision!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude you are gonna go nuts over this...

When I purchased my Streetbob, the Super Glide Custom was nowhere near the price range of the Streetbob. It is obviously closer now, I guess.

I purchased the Streetbob on these reasons, the cost, simplicity (first bike), it featured most items I wanted that I would not need to change later (mod'ing), and it was black (everyone know black is faster, haahhaa).

Seriously, I too sat on a Super Glide Custom and I felt cramped...for what ever reason the Streetbob worked for me. Will it be my one and only bike? No, I want to add a Street Glide within the next few years.....sshhhhhh, do not tell the wife. It was all part of my master plan to own two bikes...

Atleast you could have the option to ride long distances with your father-in-laws touring bike...just guessing.

Money was my biggest driving force and the FXDC was two grand more at the time and really did not fit me...

Here is my "black" bike so get the buckets out people...