General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No test rides?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts
Default No test rides?

When I decided to buy a bike, I searched the pre-owned inventory at the local dealers as well as other online dealers. Knowing I am a Craigslist addict, my daughter suggested I look there. On my goodness, I couldn't believe how many Harley "toys" were for sale. I still browse Craigslist on a daily basis just for curiosity. I see a lot of ads they say "no test rides, no joy rides, etc.". I guess I understand "no joy rides" where sellers only want serious buyers, not those just looking to ride a Harley.

Here's my question. Would you buy a bike without getting to test ride it? I wouldn't. To me, that's like buying a pair of shoes without trying them on first.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. What I would ask the seller is if you let him hold what the two of you feel is a fair price for the bike then could you take it for a test ride. I would also bring a friend.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's pretty common around here. If I let a stranger test ride my bike I'd require that I hold payment while they're gone with the bike.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most CL ads I've seen indicate that a test ride is only possible if you have cash with you. Probably the seller holds it while you ride the bike. I agree to having a friend along and doing it during daylight.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would never buy a bike or any other vehicle without a test drive

Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

All very good advice. I guess the sellers of the ones I test rode were really trusting. They didn't ask for anything. I rode one at night and even went back the next day during lunch and rode it when only the guy's wife was at home.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, If I don't test drive, I don't buy. Main reason I rule out new metrics. No way to test drive those. Dealers in Michigan and here in Arizona do not allow test drives on metrics. The only ones I have seen that let you test drive bikes are HD and BMW.

I would let the CL owner copy my License and have the keys to my car to ensure I return.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one is test riding my bike without putting the cash in my hand first. You bring it back in one piece and don't wanna buy then you get your money back. Learned that the hard way after watching my buddy have 3 grand worth of damage done to his bike. The guy came back while he was inside and dropped the bike off in his front yard and took off.

The worst part is I was gonna buy it that weekend until I took a look at it all smashed up and told him good luck with that. Oh yeah, do not take any type of check, cashiers, certified or anything else without calling the bank first. There are so many scam artists on craigslist it's unreal. Just got done selling a jeep wrangler and after the 10th tire kicker I just started telling people to not even show up unless they had the cash in hand.

Last edited by daltrey; 01-16-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hand me 11,000 in cash and ride for 15 minutes. Its o.k.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mi2az
Nope, If I don't test drive, I don't buy. Main reason I rule out new metrics. No way to test drive those. Dealers in Michigan and here in Arizona do not allow test drives on metrics. The only ones I have seen that let you test drive bikes are HD and BMW.

I would let the CL owner copy my License and have the keys to my car to ensure I return.
To me that sounds strange. Before I bought my Harley, I test rode some metrics. Not an issue around here. I was tempted to buy a white 06 Heritage with only 5K miles on it in a town about an hours drive away. I went there to look at it and he would not let me test ride it. (indy dealer). Put a bad taste in my mouth and walked away.

Quick Reply: No test rides?