General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No test rides?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
toocruisin'
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's funny...

..but I've bought and sold seven bikes without getting or giving a test ride; to be honest no-one ever asked to test ride my bikes before purchase. Ironically before I purchased my current bike, the owner offered a test ride (which really surprised me, and I declined). Paul

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Have thought about this... How to handle it....
We all have different abilities of riding...

Thinking I'd also prob have anyone put the cash in hand before riding off on mine.

I had a cousin buy a brand new UC this past summer, having ridden a Su-Zoo-key for 4yrs.. He test rode it fine,, then after paying cash for it He dropped it in the HD lot before he got to the street on the way home...

Thank god the for the guards, they worked as supposed too as he was stopped and it fell over on him. The guards didn't let his bike go over very far.

He got his left foot caught in the lowers and didn't get his foot down. Again thank god, no damage, not even a scratch in the chrome guards.

Butttt.... I'd for sure want something if someone took off on my bike....

Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM
ogh11756
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a big gamble for a seller whether a dealer or private. You get alot of noobs shopping for a bike, they can say they have been riding for years, take it for a spin and lay it down or worse.
To be honest, the two bikes i have bought were without a test ride. I didn't feel comfortable asking the seller to let me take an $8000 bike for a spin. At least it was a dealer i trusted and the bike looked clean, ran smooth at a stand still, and i got an agreement to take it back if i discovered mechanical issues after buying it. Not sure but there might be a insurance liability with test rides also.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
daltrey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I would never buy a used bike, car or boat without a test ride or inspection of some kind. It only takes a short ride, on a bike or in a car, to get a "feel" for how tight/well taken car of the vehicle is. On the other hand I can understand the sellers point of view. Alot of a-holes out there looking to have a good time on your nickel.
BUT - that being said - NO TEST RIDE/NO SALE!!!
Not interested in buying someone elses pile of crap.
I've offered to meet the buyer at his mechanics and let his mechanic look it over on his dime. That way at least I know he is serious and not wasting my time. I've also had seller's meet me at my mechanics shop. There will always be buyers and sellers and it's never taken me over a week to sell anything on craigslist.