General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No test rides?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, the insurance thing might be a test ride show stopper.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The insurance issue is one reason the new dealership in the Tri-cities (Rattlesnake Mountain HD) won't allow test rides, even for used bikes. You make your deal, pay, confirm YOU are insured and take an "acceptance ride." If you're not happy they'll refund your payment/cancel the financing. Seemed odd not getting to test a used bike, but I understand the dealer's concerns - and it all worked out fine for me in the end.
Eastside Harley in Bellevue lets you ride anything - in fact the sales guys used to offer me chances to take a new bike out just to see what I thought of it. Funny thing is, I never rode any of the four new bikes we bought over the years - knew from trying others that they'd be ok.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 AM
captharley
Cruiser

I have to agree with the majority. No ride without cash up front. I've sold 5 Harleys over the past 10 years without this being an issue. If it is an issue with the potential buyer then he can go somewhere else to buy!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 AM
softone
Cruiser

I looked at a bunch of bikes on CL, and for good reason it stated up front 'no test rides'. I wasn't as inclined to go and look at them. When I found the one I was most serious about, I rode over on my current bike with a friend also on a bike. After talking and looking at it awhile the seller - to my surprise - said 'go take it for a test ride'. I did. I ran it through all the maneuvers that I thought would bring out any problems and check out my comfort level. Came back and bought the bike a week later. I would never have bought it - or any bike - without a test ride and I didn't have the 10k with me to put in his hand. I understand a seller's 'No Rides' point of view, but I lucked out. Maybe that's one of the reasons I did buy it. He let me do 'my thing' and he got it sold.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mi2az
Nope, If I don't test drive, I don't buy. Main reason I rule out new metrics. No way to test drive those. Dealers in Michigan and here in Arizona do not allow test drives on metrics. The only ones I have seen that let you test drive bikes are HD and BMW.

Back in 99' I wanted to rest ride a HD and consider buying one. No HD dealers were allowing such, in Michigan anyway. Of course, back then, they still had waiting lists to buy HD's around here.

I refused to buy a bike I couldn't test ride.

I walked into Yamaha, again this is back in 99', and found a first model year Roadstar sitting on the floor. It took about a whopping 2 minutes before a salesman was dangling the keys in front of me and saying "Want to take her out for a ride?"
5 miles later i rolled back into the dealership and bought the bike. Panned out to be 1 of the best bikes I've ever owned and she is still running great.

Since then, probably due to competition, the local HD shop now let people test ride bikes...Yammy still likes to dangle new bike keys in my face on their new models too.

My experiences have been the opposite of your claims about here in Michigan.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Harley dealers in the U.K only let you test ride if you hand over your driving licence and passport, which could be an alternative for the private seller if the buyer doesnt want to hand over cash, although the passport could be a problem as i hear only about 10% of Americans have got them.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tazzrider
Back in 99' I wanted to rest ride a HD and consider buying one. No HD dealers were allowing such, in Michigan anyway. Of course, back then, they still had waiting lists to buy HD's around here.

I refused to buy a bike I couldn't test ride.

I walked into Yamaha, again this is back in 99', and found a first model year Roadstar sitting on the floor. It took about a whopping 2 minutes before a salesman was dangling the keys in front of me and saying "Want to take her out for a ride?"
5 miles later i rolled back into the dealership and bought the bike. Panned out to be 1 of the best bikes I've ever owned and she is still running great.

Since then, probably due to competition, the local HD shop now let people test ride bikes...Yammy still likes to dangle new bike keys in my face on their new models too.

My experiences have been the opposite of your claims about here in Michigan.

Which Dealers in Michigan ?

Rosanau in Canton and Nickelson in Ann Arbor did not allow test rides, But American HD in Ann Arbor or Brighton HD had no issues with test rides

Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Most jap dealers around Grand Rapids allow test rides. The 3 HD dealers in the area do also. Grand Rapids HD, Muskegon HD and Sandys HD in Freemont all allow test rides.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
Harley dealers in the U.K only let you test ride if you hand over your driving licence and passport, which could be an alternative for the private seller if the buyer doesnt want to hand over cash, although the passport could be a problem as i hear only about 10% of Americans have got them.
Don't you guys in the EU have to carry a passport to travel a lot anyway?????

Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test rode the old lady before marrage , I damn sure test ride any vehicle first then purchase. I called around to find my last metric the dealer that had one was almost an hour away. I told him to have it ready. I loaded my trade up and got to the dealer and was pissed when he didnt give a 8hit I was there to buy . I told him he was stupid and lost a new customer. I called the next dealer and told them I will test ride and then concider purchase. They made sure I wasnt a joy rider and I told them about my previous experience with other dealer. Needless to say I rode it bought it and sent two others to buy within the next year. I do understand their delimma but the serious customer will go elswhere.

Quick Reply: No test rides?