General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another long time dealer down for the count.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another long time dealer down for the count.

Well another dealer of over 30 years goes down, F & S Harley Davidson in Dayton, OH has been a local dealer since 1979. I have bought 12 new Harleys from them over the years and spent several thousands of dollars in parts, accessories and clothes.

Rumors have been going around for about two years. They are another small mom and pop business that gave in to Harley’s requirement to put up a multi million dollar boutique. I realize that Harley is not totally to blame and the economy has taken its toll on many businesses but I am sure they could have survived if they had stayed in their small block building that served them and their customers well for several years. From their website history “Today, F&S Harley-Davidson / Buell is a 55,279 square foot 'Superstore", yea a broke out of business “Superstore”

Ever since the new store the dealership has lost a lot of its friendly appeal, it quit being a destination for a Saturday morning ride. When will Harley management realize what their customer base likes? Oh that's right, they don't care. RIP..... F & S.......

Last edited by 60mike06FLHX; 01-15-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have they actually closed their doors or is someone else taking over the dealership?

Haven't been in the store since before Christmas. Really liked the parts and sales guys as well as the girls up front, they have all been very helpful.

I remember the old store from the early 90's, it did seem too small. I didn't understand why they built such a hugh building, as some other's I been to aren't quite as big but seem to satisfy HD in presenting clothes and bikes.

Hope if new owners to take over they keep some of the workers there so they don't lose the "hometown" feel.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master

Not confirmed but rumor mill has Thiel's Wheels Harley of Upper Sandusky as the new owner. I guess we will see. F & S is still open but the sales lady today said if you want any thing with the F&S name, you better get it. They do not have much in shirts left. It was suppose to happen Jan. 1, 2011.

Grovers in Piqua is a nice size and I like all the people up there, I just wish they were closer to Bellbrook.

Last edited by 60mike06FLHX; 01-15-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I was there a few times over the last few months and it did not look good,there was not much inventory and were now closed on mondays so I wondered when it was over.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a shame, Mom n Pop started shop put years in, only to have to go the big nut for a "super Boutique" the moco wants.
This economy is not the time to go that much into debt. Just my .02

Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard the same rumor about Thiel's Wheels. Just hope we get the same treatment we always have.

I feel fortunate to be close enough to F&S, Gover's in Piqua and HD Center in Richmond.

I have been greeted by the owners at both Gover's and HD in Richmond (George is a hoot to talk with) and they will talk bike's, parts and clothes with anyone. Also been to Buckminn's a few times and treated well their too.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really sorry to hear about another mom & pop going under. Remember when H-D dealerships were all differnt and not the brick & glass boutiques they are today...like McDonald's

Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell for all you know maybe they wantede to retire and sold ever think about that

Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 AM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
Hell for all you know maybe they wantede to retire and sold ever think about that
I know the owners personally, not the case..just saying.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have been to both the old and new F&S stores. I was in Ohio to visit family a while back and stopped in they had a stage set up for a band and a patch vendor was there early sewing on patches they sold.
A lot of H-D dealers in Southeast Ohio and Dayton is hit hard by lay offs. I would think it would be hard to make payroll.

Quick Reply: Another long time dealer down for the count.