General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another long time dealer down for the count.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's too bad. I used to visit them every year while at the Dayton Hamvention. One of my favorite T-shirts is their "Birth Place of Aviation" one.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Daniel B.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to see someone lose their business. I'm sure the poor economy has something to do with it. I don't buy much past the basic bike from Harley anymore. I can't stand that most of their stuff is "Made in China". I doubt I'm the only one.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 891 Posts

Sorry to hear, when they had a clothing sale, it was actually a good place to purchase quality clothing cheap and a large assortment, not 2 racks of undesireable clothing and the rest is bend you over like many HD store sales.

I have been at the old store several times and then came the Taj Mahal, nice place but has to be alot of pressure from overhead costs

Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM
LoRydr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 60mike06FLHX
Not confirmed but rumor mill has Thiel's Wheels Harley of Upper Sandusky as the new owner. I guess we will see. F & S is still open but the sales lady today said if you want any thing with the F&S name, you better get it. They do not have much in shirts left. It was suppose to happen Jan. 1, 2011.

Grovers in Piqua is a nice size and I like all the people up there, I just wish they were closer to Bellbrook.
It sucks that they have to close up shop as F&S. I for one am glad Gover HD is in Piqua, where I live. Staff is friendly and Marty (parts dude) can even help me with shovelhead stuff. He owns one as well.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,519 Posts

For the mom and pop stores out there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0

Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know if it is true or just rumors, but. I have the same storey from 2 different employees, both managers, that when the old GM retired the owner put his daughter in the GM slot and she screwed up the floor plan with Harly. They owed a ton of money and when ever they orderd parts they had to match the order price to pay back bad debt. That is why they couldn't get any inventory.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to see a business close. If it's a new owner I hope they treat you right.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to see them go. I was in the shop in Belfountain this fall and for such a huge building they had like 10 bikes in there. Made me wonder if they were on hard times too. As for Thiels, bought mine there, they said sales were off but not as much as most H-D dealerships. They seem to have people in there store every time I go there. Pretty busy on the parts end too. Seems to be alot of big shops in a bunch of smaller towns.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,835 Likes on 19,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 60mike06FLHX
Well another dealer of over 30 years goes down, F & S Harley Davidson in Dayton, OH has been a local dealer since 1979. I have bought 12 new Harleys from them over the years and spent several thousands of dollars in parts, accessories and clothes.

Rumors have been going around for about two years. They are another small mom and pop business that gave in to Harley’s requirement to put up a multi million dollar boutique. I realize that Harley is not totally to blame and the economy has taken its toll on many businesses but I am sure they could have survived if they had stayed in their small block building that served them and their customers well for several years. From their website history “Today, F&S Harley-Davidson / Buell is a 55,279 square foot 'Superstore", yea a broke out of business “Superstore”

Ever since the new store the dealership has lost a lot of its friendly appeal, it quit being a destination for a Saturday morning ride. When will Harley management realize what their customer base likes? Oh that's right, they don't care. RIP..... F & S.......
I think you're going to see more and more dealers dropping off. This same situation recently happen in Ann Arbor, MI. American Harley had been doing business in a
small shop just west of town. Along comes the MOCO with "Supershop" requirements
and they move into an old Honda ( how ironic ) car dealership. They closed their doors late last summer and combined their crew with Brighton Harley. Oh well.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 AM
ChetB
Road Master
Received 561 Likes on 288 Posts

That really is too bad, I used to stop in during Hamvention too

Quick Reply: Another long time dealer down for the count.