General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Trike question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
flyfisherman_51
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Trike question

Need some information from anyone who can help me. I recently purchased a 2002 Harley Sportster Trike. It's a Lehman conversion and I a little concerned with it. I bought it in November of last year and had only ridden it a few times locally and then the clutch went out. I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they installed a new high preformance clutch on it (almost 400 dollars worth of parts and labor) but I took the trike out a couple of days week before last and it's doing the same thing it was before I had the new clutch put on. It seems like whenever I shift the trike from 1st trying to go into second it never feels like it shifts corectly I have to push the pedal way up to get it to shift, insted of just needing to tap the pedal up to change gears it's like it has too much play or something in the pedal, I'm not overly experianced as a rider and this is my first trkie so not sure if the problem is with me or with the trike so any help will be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

have any pictures? the play in the shifter is normal.
wanna trade it for a Vic cross roads?

I'd love to have a Sportster trike

Old 01-13-2011, 07:00 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you shift out of first & into second, your passing through neutral. That is your biggest shift spacing. If your primary chain was out of adjustment, you would have a hard time shifting.
If your clutch is adjusted correctly, your free play on the clutch lever would be just a hair! like a 16th of an inch and thats it.
Your clutch work has a minimum 30 day warranty!!
Hatch.