General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer front on Night Train?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 05:49 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Springer front on Night Train?

I currently own a 2009 Night Train and thinking of trading it for a 2011 Crossbones. The main reason is because i love the springer front. I love old school looking bikes. Does harley sell the Springer front? What would it cost to install a good quality springer on the night train or would it be cheaper just to trade it for the crossbones?

Old 01-12-2011 | 07:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, if you have giant wads of cash that you simply have no use for, you can buy a factory Harley Springer setup direct from the MOCO for about 3 grand. Otherwise, there's a ton of aftermarket Springer companies screaming for your business. Paughco, Denver, Jerri's Springers, Sugar Bear....just to name a few. Since you own a Softail, most companies make super high quality Springers that are a direct bolt on (unlike my freakin' Dyna), for the $800-$1200 range. A bit more if you want the shock. Most setups such as the Paughco allow you to simply reinstall the factory 21 inch wheel, fender and brakes. Depending on what bars you have, you might even be able to reuse your factory ones but the Springer mounting points are wider, so often times you can't. I would suspect any Indy would do the swap for a reasonable rate, or break out the tools and save the loot. Probably a 4-5 hour job if you hustle. A weekend if your drinkin'. Its a nice way to set your bike apart for the sea of Softails that show up at every event.

Old 01-12-2011 | 07:20 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks i really appreciate the info! Ill have to look into those companies u named. Any one you recomend? Does any come with a warranty. 3000 from harley is highway robbery. Going that route i would defanetly be better just to trade for the crossbones the dealer is offering me a heck of a deal!

Old 01-12-2011 | 08:05 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

If your liking a stock style Springer for a good price, its hard to beat Paughco. They are definitely a quality set of forks.

http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/...-springers.pdf

If your looking to get custom, Jeri's Springers are pretty cool.

http://www.jeris-springer.com/order.html

If your wanting to rake it and go all out chopper, Sugar Bear is top notch.

http://www.sugarbearchoppers.com/

edit: Just mentioning that you can always get the Chinese DNA on ebay for about 400 bucks delivered. Thats always an option as well. I had two of them on two different bikes. They are low quality compared to American made forks, but they are cheap and shiny.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 01-12-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 08:41 PM
mid evil train
Road Master

My opinion, put the springer front end on the Train. I personally like the lines, the rake and the low slung look. The Bones is nice looking when its parked, buy I dont care much for the look with a rider on it going down the road. Just my .02, and if you do it, post some pics.

P.S. Stretch the tank while your at it....lol

Old 01-12-2011 | 09:01 PM
Country Bumpkin
Cruiser

Here's you a shot of my 06 Night Train with a stock HD springer on it.

Old 01-12-2011 | 09:12 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Country Bumpkin
Here's you a shot of my 06 Night Train with a stock HD springer on it.

That's NICE!

How does it handle compared to stock?

Old 01-12-2011 | 09:19 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

That Train looks sweet with the springer! Wonder if they sell it in black? How much did they wack you for it? I like the stock HD springer look the best!

Old 01-12-2011 | 09:29 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mid evil train
My opinion, put the springer front end on the Train. I personally like the lines, the rake and the low slung look. The Bones is nice looking when its parked, buy I dont care much for the look with a rider on it going down the road. Just my .02, and if you do it, post some pics.

P.S. Stretch the tank while your at it....lol
I totally agree with you. But... The CrossBones is the exact same bike. If you put the badlander seat on the bones thats what puts you low in the saddle. That spring seat puts the rider up so high its rediculous sat on one at the dealer. only other difference is the floor boards instead of pegs! Wich i think adds more to the old school look anyway. The rake on the frame neck is exactly the same..the Train has more rake because of the tripple trees with the wideglide front.

Old 01-12-2011 | 09:32 PM
Country Bumpkin
Cruiser

Bike handles great. If anything it feels a little heavier than stock. Took me a few miles to get use to it. It was easy to oversteer at first. As far as I know you can no longer buy a springer front end from HD unless you can find a dealer somewhere that has one sitting in their stockroom. When you could buy one, just the front end alone was 2499.00 if I am not mistaken. Then you still had to buy headlight, risers, fender, caliper, mounting hardware etc....

I got lucky and found mine on Ebay a few years ago with everything included. I think I gave about 2200.00 for all of it.

Quick Reply: Springer front on Night Train?