General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally bit the bullet...Gerbing heated gear inbound

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally bit the bullet...Gerbing heated gear inbound

I guess I must be getting old. After our New Years Day ride at 14 degree's I realized my old bones just can't take it anymore.

Went down to the local dealer and tried on the HD heated gear to check sizing, then ordered it direct from Gerbing to save about $70.00 bucks. Should have the jacket liner, G-5 gloves and dual controller in about a week. Can't wait to try it out on our trip to Harrison Arkansas in two weeks !!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like there are a number of people on here that like them. A bit pricey for me...but doesn't matter I guess because at 14 degrees I'm home in front of the fire.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just converted my leather jacket removable liner to a heated one. My cost was about $30 and now that I've done it, I could cut that cost to about $20. You would never know I did the mods other than the plug inside the jacket. I tried it out this weekend and was toasty warm.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

OK kkiley, tell us how you did it.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I bought this kit on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wirin...Q5fMerchandise

Next I went to a fabric store and picked up some material that is double sided sticky stuff. I laid out the material on the backside of the jacket liner, cut it out for the 2 front pieces and one for the back. I then started to lay out the wire and used medical scotch tape to hold the wire in place. This allows you to adjust as you go along. You run one continuous loop from one corner all the way around the vest and back to the same spot. Once you have have laid out your pattern with the wire, solder the thin wire to the flat 2 plug used for your battery tender. Then I cut some black cloth material I purchased to cover everything, ironed it all together and you are done. No sewing involved, just some cutting, sticking, ironing, cocktails and patience.

When I was done I calculated it was generating 54 watts of heat. I tried it out and found that it was warm, but not as warm as I wanted. I went back and removed about 3' of wiring (from 33' total) and it's about 63 watts now. It's very comfortable and doesn't need a heater control switch.
All the work I did was to the backside of the jacket liner and it still has the finished look exposed when I take the jacket off.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Just ordered the hd jacket liner and duel control yesterday myself with a 15% discount taxes and all the hd stuff was a few bucks cheaper than gerbings so i decided to give the dealer my buisiness hope they come in quick.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:07 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Your gonna luv yourself. BUT...should have claaed grandprixmotorsports and asked them for their coupon code for online ordering. Most times knocks off 20%. And no...I have no ties with them except for saving some loot on my last Gerbing purchase of overpants

Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Hardcorvette
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Your gonna luv yourself. BUT...should have claaed grandprixmotorsports and asked them for their coupon code for online ordering. Most times knocks off 20%. And no...I have no ties with them except for saving some loot on my last Gerbing purchase of overpants

I agree. I did the same thing a while back and saved almost $100.00 on my total purchase at grandprixmotorsports.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okieblue62
I guess I must be getting old. After our New Years Day ride at 14 degree's I realized my old bones just can't take it anymore.

Went down to the local dealer and tried on the HD heated gear to check sizing, then ordered it direct from Gerbing to save about $70.00 bucks. Should have the jacket liner, G-5 gloves and dual controller in about a week. Can't wait to try it out on our trip to Harrison Arkansas in two weeks !!
If you need any additional Gerbings gear, the BMW motorcycle dealer in OKC will usually give a discount better than Gerbings offers, if you ask them nicely.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I hated spending the money on Gerbings the day I bought them but not a second since. I rank them up there as one of the best purchases I have made related to my bike. they really extend my riding season.

Quick Reply: Finally bit the bullet...Gerbing heated gear inbound