General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally bit the bullet...Gerbing heated gear inbound

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM
falconman13
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the new microwire jacket liner from wifey for xmas, man, that thing heats up instantly and makes the difference between "Lets Go" and "No WAY"

Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on Grandprixmotorsports. Ordered my Gerbing Hybrid gloves from them last year and saved a bundle of $. Good customer service too.

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Your gonna luv yourself. BUT...should have claaed grandprixmotorsports and asked them for their coupon code for online ordering. Most times knocks off 20%. And no...I have no ties with them except for saving some loot on my last Gerbing purchase of overpants

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ardakota
Just ordered the hd jacket liner and duel control yesterday myself with a 15% discount taxes and all the hd stuff was a few bucks cheaper than gerbings so i decided to give the dealer my buisiness hope they come in quick.
Did the same last May. Saved money at the dealer and get the same warranty since Gerbing makes the HD gear

Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
jbe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will love the heated gear.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Still waiting on my pants liner. Have the T5 Gloves, jacket liner, and dual control. Have everything ready on the bikes, just waiting on the pants to go take a ride. Today's low was 10 and will have a high of 22 with strong winds....

I am really excited about riding without shivering or hurting pinky fingers...

Old 01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

My first exposure to heated clothing we still laugh about. A bunch of us went to the Davis Rallye in NE Iowa a few years ago. Some Gold Wing riders had bought Widder's heated clothing, and bragged about how they could wear their lightweight Gold Wing jackets over their heated clothing, while the rest of us were dressed in heavy leathers for the 250 mile trip.

They stopped laughing at the rallye when the temps dropped to freezing. Heated clothing only works when it's plugged in! By the end of the rallye they had spent big bucks on overpriced sweat shirts just to stay warm while walking around. The rest of us were quite comfortable with our "heavy leathers" we had worn.

Since then, we've bought Gerbings, and love them. But we still wear our "heavy" leathers.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kkiley
Ok, I bought this kit on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wirin...Q5fMerchandise

Next I went to a fabric store and picked up some material that is double sided sticky stuff. I laid out the material on the backside of the jacket liner, cut it out for the 2 front pieces and one for the back. I then started to lay out the wire and used medical scotch tape to hold the wire in place. This allows you to adjust as you go along. You run one continuous loop from one corner all the way around the vest and back to the same spot. Once you have have laid out your pattern with the wire, solder the thin wire to the flat 2 plug used for your battery tender. Then I cut some black cloth material I purchased to cover everything, ironed it all together and you are done. No sewing involved, just some cutting, sticking, ironing, cocktails and patience.

When I was done I calculated it was generating 54 watts of heat. I tried it out and found that it was warm, but not as warm as I wanted. I went back and removed about 3' of wiring (from 33' total) and it's about 63 watts now. It's very comfortable and doesn't need a heater control switch.
All the work I did was to the backside of the jacket liner and it still has the finished look exposed when I take the jacket off.
You'll want to check the fuse and wire capacity of that Battery Tender harness. Some are only 3 amps.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
I hated spending the money on Gerbings the day I bought them but not a second since. I rank them up there as one of the best purchases I have made related to my bike. they really extend my riding season.
I second that!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang it, NOW you guys tell me about all the discounts and deals LOL. Oh well guess its my own fault for buying before posting this. If they work as good as advertised I probably would have paid twice as much for them and been happy. Just tired of being cold !!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Gotta love that heated gear!

Quick Reply: Finally bit the bullet...Gerbing heated gear inbound