General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
rkc2006
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tires off the ground

I am preparing to winterize my 2006 Road King and i have a couple of questions. I know that storing the bike for the winter requires a full tank with a stabilizer added and giving it a good wash and wax, oil and filter change along with removing the battery or putting it on a tender. My question is about the tires and oil. A riding friend says that if the bike is going to sit in the garage for 4 or 5 months, the bike should be raised off the ground (such as resting the frame on blocks of wood) as this will keep the tires in round. My second question is about the oil, i use synthetic oil during riding season. Do i need to use it while in storage? Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Tires off the ground

My understanding is once you use synthetic oil you don't chnage back and forth.

keeping the tires off the ground is a good idea i would think. i have seen rubber mats used for this

Old 10-01-2006, 09:10 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better to have the tires barely touching. Less pressure on the suspension, and no real chance of flat spots (which really takes longer anyway).

Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't worry about lifting a bike off the ground , might be a nice winter day that you decide to ride I just keep it dry . Just my way of things , but I don't change the fluids until spring. Once you have switched to synthetic , stay there

Old 10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the newer tire compounds you really don't need to lift the bike.

Is there a reason to change the oil before storage? To me it would make more sense to do it when you bring it out of storage. ??

Just wondering. I've never did that with any of my cars that I used to put up in the winter.

I'll probably just go out in the garage once a month or so and just fire it up. I don't think I could go 5 months w/o hearing it run.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:49 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Avoid the hassles and ride year round. Like DoCPooF, I couldn't go 5 months without hearing it run, or more importantly, riding it.

I'm an all weather rider though. Admittedly that is easier on the left coast where I am now. But I used to be on Right coast and had to contend with cold weather, rain, snow, etc. Nothing stopped me. You haven't lived 'til you've had to kick frozen slush off the fenders.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Jular2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the reason's I live in Florida--just keep piling up the miles all year long.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:00 AM
JCPsr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DoCPooF

With the newer tire compounds you really don't need to lift the bike.

Is there a reason to change the oil before storage? To me it would make more sense to do it when you bring it out of storage. ??

Just wondering. I've never did that with any of my cars that I used to put up in the winter.

I'll probably just go out in the garage once a month or so and just fire it up. I don't think I could go 5 months w/o hearing it run.
Oil is run in an engine for lubricity, but also has detergents to prevent the build up of sludge. Fuel also gets past the rings and is suspended in the oil. Leaving these contaminants in the engine all winter just allows them to eat away at all the internal parts that you are trying to protect.
Change the oil, than run the engine for a short time to circulate the new oil and shut down for storage.
Starting an engine for a short period of time during storage will only introduce moisture into the exhaust and add contaminants to the oil. If you want to run the engine at least get it up to normal operating temp for a good 20 minutes.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:03 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

the roads got washed off and i got to ride this past Feb. Hope to ride at least into Novemeber

Old 10-02-2006, 12:12 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JCPsr

Oil is run in an engine for lubricity, but also has detergents to prevent the build up of sludge. Fuel also gets past the rings and is suspended in the oil. Leaving these contaminants in the engine all winter just allows them to eat away at all the internal parts that you are trying to protect.
Change the oil, than run the engine for a short time to circulate the new oil and shut down for storage.
Starting an engine for a short period of time during storage will only introduce moisture into the exhaust and add contaminants to the oil. If you want to run the engine at least get it up to normal operating temp for a good 20 minutes.
hmmmm , something I never thought of , I think I'll change fluids before winter, thanks

Quick Reply: Tires off the ground