General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO U really think LOUD pipes saves Lifes??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
bikercrap
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgill
Why do people bitch about them?

Now as responsible bikers we need to do our part and lay off the throttle late at night and in residential neighborhoods.

Wish more of our fellow riders would think like this. We are our own worst enemy most of the time.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Most cager's that hit a biker will say "I didn't see him". These days most cagers are distracted by one thing or another, I would think the most common distraction of cagers is yapping on the cell phone. The question should be with quiet pipes do you think they will know you are there when they are already not looking for you.

Tech23

Old 01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
Some do, Some don't.
What Ur opinion.??
I never debate the loud pipe thing. However, have you
ever been startled by a bike you didn't know was there
until it was beside you? I have. But loud didn't work until
it would have been too late. I thought about it many times
and wouldn't consider it part of my defense. They're actually
only loud going away. Go to a flat track race sometime, when
they're coming out of turn four and the pack is heading your
way, it's like a hum, until they fly by, then the loud starts.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech23
Most cager's that hit a biker will say "I didn't see him". These days most cagers are distracted by one thing or another, I would think the most common distraction of cagers is yapping on the cell phone. The question should be with quiet pipes do you think they will know you are there when they are already not looking for you.

Tech23
Cager hit me on the freeway said that. I was in the right lane, moving at 50. They were in the left moving at about 30. They wanted to get into the faster lane and changed lanes quickly into an "open" spot that was me. My pipes on that bike were so loud that at idle you could hear them from 300 yards away even with a number of buildings in between me and the observer. Didn't keep me from getting hit.

However, I have had some people give me room when they have heard me come up on them. Like I said, it may help a little, but won't stop those who are completely unattentive from hitting you.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes!!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

yep, Thats why emergency vehicles have sirens. You first hear them and then immediately start trying to locate the vehicle.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Loud gear (hi vis) does. 37% less chance, compared to a black jacket and black helmet, of being in a mufti vehicle accident.

http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857.full

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM
daBreeze
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe they help a helluva lot more than they dont. I also believe running high beams all the time does as well (daytime)lol.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
yep, Thats why emergency vehicles have sirens. You first hear them and then immediately start trying to locate the vehicle.
Emergency vehicles have sirens pointing in all directions, not just out the back?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
Cager hit me on the freeway said that. I was in the right lane, moving at 50. They were in the left moving at about 30. They wanted to get into the faster lane and changed lanes quickly into an "open" spot that was me. My pipes on that bike were so loud that at idle you could hear them from 300 yards away even with a number of buildings in between me and the observer. Didn't keep me from getting hit.

However, I have had some people give me room when they have heard me come up on them. Like I said, it may help a little, but won't stop those who are completely unattentive from hitting you.
I think they help some,no where near as much as my air horn, but defensive driving (riding) and knowing when and where to hang with a car, and when to keep your distance is probably the best. Hell sometimes they are just bound and determined you could be on a cop bike with lights and siren blazing,wearing neon pink, blowing a bugle out of your *** and whistling dixie, and they'll still cut you off or turn in front of you! When I'm in my cage I do my best to give bikes room, and block for them when I can.

Quick Reply: DO U really think LOUD pipes saves Lifes??