General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does sales tax work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I can't understand how someone can buy a bike off Ebay--when I buy a vehicle, ESPECIALLY a bike, it takes me about 2 hours of real close scrutiny,checking oil, pulling plugs,checking fasteners,compression,charge check,makeing sure everything works,test ride, etc. before I plunk down money.
I bought my bike on Ebay from a person unknown to me about 800 miles away... rented a car to go see and inspect the bike so I could just drop it off in case I decided to ride the bike home - which I did. If it didn't pass my inspection at the time I wouldn't have paid for it...

Back to the question in this thread... many states have reciprocal tax agreements. If you as a resident of the state of New Mexico buy from a bike or car or boat from a retail outlet in a neighbor state such as Arizona, that retail outlet is required to collect sales tax for the state of New Mexico at point of sale... it must then forward that amount to the DMV of your locality along with title to the vehicle. You then meet your paperwork at your local DMV and pay any other fees for your area, if any, and collect your plate, registration, and title, if no lien.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move to Oregon, we don't do sales tax.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Helge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the bike in any state you want and register it by proxy in Maine. It'll only be about 80 bucks for title transfer and registration, then when you get your title, walk on down to you local DMV and simply do another title transfer. Works out to be way less than sales tax. I'm not saying it's right but, neither is sky high taxes.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To y'all with no state sales tax... good for you. I know for a fact that all of you pay income taxes and personal property taxes instead... Oregon is over 10%. No sales tax is not necessarily a good thing... in Florida we pay no income or personal property taxes, as well as have Homestead Act reduced property taxes. Our taxes are structured so that we can tax the **** out of all the touristas... LOL.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oklahoma started this lovely thing of adding a percentage of your income, 2% I think, to your tax at tax return time. This additional tax is based on out of state internet and phone purchases that "you must have made". If you keep receipts on everything the tax is based on actual purcheses. Otherwise it's the flat rate.