General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a US motorcycle licence

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's pretty much the same in CA. The MSF course is only required for riders under age 21.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up until a few years ago, you could take a 2 day course, and get tested at the end on the lot. No requirement to go on the road at all. There was a written test afterwards at the registrars, but no road test. Recently they've changed it so you require a road test as well.

Being Canada and all that, I'm sure we'll see some legislation along the lines of the UK in the next few years...

Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM
09fatboyaz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by micky
I live in the UK and happened to watch a show on TV my daughter had on, you know the kind of thing, lives of the famous but this was about wives of rock stars and one of them was gonna surprise her husband by getting a motorcycle to ride along with him. She took a day course in with a motorcycle training school learning on what seemed to be a small cc motorcycle, then as it would seem, she got her licence to ride after this day course. Is this correct?, can you get a US licence so easy? or am I being misguided my clever programe editing?..BTW it was in Seattle and she went out and bought a heritage soft tail..I thought if its true its got to be a little scary from an experence on the road point of view. In the UK its quite a chore a motorcycle licence with all the training involved but by the time you get one you've had a fair bit of road experence. I'm sure it differes from state to state but I would be interested to know. thanks in advance
here you can get one in a few hours.. car or motorcycle then it is valid till your 65th birthday,
most are idiots that dont belong driving.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
micky
Cruiser

Well thanks to everyone that replyed it was very interesting and i'm sure there are differences in roads and conditions in various countries and states that match the road testing that the respective governments require but as a UK contributer stated it should not be so restictive as to 'put off' young riders from coming in to motorcycling but at the same time it should not be so easy that you become a danger to yourself and others, point being each to thier own and if its working for you good luck and keep it upright.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

In Georgia I had to pass a written test (computer) then I was issued a temporary permit after 10 minutes and 2 weeks later they mailed me the Instructional Permit valid for 6 mos which allows me to drive a bike without a passenger,daylight time,no highways.A riding test is mandatory unless you've completed an MSC course,in that case the test is waived.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you slip the examiner $50, you don't even need to do the road test.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fact remains, no matter what the "requirements are" or the testing you "go through" until you have spent a few years on the road, you haven't learned to ride. While requiring a size limit for some amount of time, may have merit! There will always be a "HARD" learning curve for some folks! ( Bikes will NOT stand up by themselves when stopped!)

I cringe when someone says " I took the Motorcycle safety course" and they taught me to RIDE!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:33 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fridge
Better too easy than what our government/the eu put in place to deter potential motorcyclists...
What benefit is it to yours, or any, government to "deter potenial motorcyclists"?

Originally Posted by Fridge
...No wonder no young kids are getting into biking over here.
I'd like to see the statistics on motorcycle accidents, involving new riders, in countries with more strict licensing requirements vs. the U.S. requirements.

Anybody have these handy?

Originally Posted by fat_tony
The Hurt Report (done 1981, is still the most complete study of motorcycle accidents done to date). Summary of findings from the Hurt Report........ [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Hurt_Report ] A few things have changed since this study. There are now a lot more new older riders than there where in 1981 and a lot more people are starting out and riding large displacement bikes. They define large displacement as over 500cc in the report - not many people ride bikes under 500cc now. More recent studies looking at visibility show there is a 37% reduction in accidents with cars when the rider is wearing HiVis vs black jacket and helmet, also a German study looking at head injuries only showed 35% of head impacts causing injury (both fatal and non fatal) are to the face and chin in a motorcycle accident.
Thanks for this link fat_tony - some great info.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
If you slip the examiner $50, you don't even need to do the road test.
I guess the closer to the border, the cheaper it is. It cost me $100 in L.A.!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In every state, it's pretty much the same.
They charge you money, then have you take a test or two to justify the money-charging!

That's how American government works.

Quick Reply: Getting a US motorcycle licence