General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm thinking about Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
capewalk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm thinking about Daytona

I've never been and this year I just might be able to pull it off. At this point I'd be going alone and bringing my Superglide in the back of my pickup truck. So I guess my first questions would be how hard would it be to find a place to offload the bike as I don't have a ramp? I have a friend in Jacksonville so I may lose the truck there and ride in. Will I have trouble finding lodging in Jacksonville without a reservation. And I guess what other things should I know? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Can offload it in a grassy median. Pull down in and back the truck up to the edge.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Zap
Club Member

Originally Posted by capewalk
I've never been and this year I just might be able to pull it off. At this point I'd be going alone and bringing my Superglide in the back of my pickup truck. So I guess my first questions would be how hard would it be to find a place to offload the bike as I don't have a ramp? I have a friend in Jacksonville so I may lose the truck there and ride in. Will I have trouble finding lodging in Jacksonville without a reservation. And I guess what other things should I know? Thanks for your help.
To your first question...you know what it takes to get a bike off a pickup, you'll need to find a ditch, loading platform or some means to get it off, tough to do alone, even with a ramp. The other thing is, you don't say where your coming from. I live in upstate NY and I'd never haul mine in a open anything, this time of year. Lodging...can be problematic with no reservation, not to mention cost. After saying all that, if you've never been there, I say everyone should go at least once. I go for the racing, I'm not much for profiling.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 PM
tealdreams
Advanced

I live in Jacksonville and believe me in this economy you wont have a problem finding a place to stay, and as far as offloading your bike you should have no problem there just pull up behind any supermarket or warehouse and they will probably have a loading dock you can use.I hope this info helps.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

I realize a lot of people like to go to bike week in the spring. I lived in Florida both central and the Jax area for abot35 years and spring weather is a real crap shoot. If a cold front comes thru it's bringing rain, could stall out a nd back up to a warm front bringing more wet. If I had a choice I'd go to Biketoberfest in Oct., But that's your call, may want to throw some rain gear in the bags. Could even check out rooms down in the Deland area, home of Stetson University and their own bike event. Have fun.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,338 Likes on 2,567 Posts

the economy still sucks you won't have a problem finding rooms any where during bike week. I stopped making reservations 3 years ago for bike week,either one and have found real good room deals.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM
softone
Cruiser

I'd lose the truck in JAX and go on an adventure. Your friend is there to help you off load the bike. If you go to Daytona with the truck and bike, you will surely find help of strangers there too. Most everybody helps everybody. Having bikes in common opens a gazillons doors. Let loose! Have fun! But pack your raingear and a warm (leather?) jacket. It's unpredictable. Was damn cold last year.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I realize a lot of people like to go to bike week in the spring. I lived in Florida both central and the Jax area for abot35 years and spring weather is a real crap shoot. If a cold front comes thru it's bringing rain, could stall out a nd back up to a warm front bringing more wet. If I had a choice I'd go to Biketoberfest in Oct., But that's your call, may want to throw some rain gear in the bags. Could even check out rooms down in the Deland area, home of Stetson University and their own bike event. Have fun.
+1 on going to Biketoberfest in Oct. Same sights and sounds, etc., but less people.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
david.m.mitchell@snapon.com
Banned

Originally Posted by capewalk
Plenty of boarding in Jax even a little further south in Palm Coast. I live in St Aug & my wife runs an extended stay in Jax ~ she always has availability during BW, her rates do not go up ~ I know all the roads and most of the ones I ride have limited traffic. You do not get into the circus until Ormond Beach.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 PM
chadbob
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

GO!!!
If it makes you feel better to have a room res, hit hotwire or something similar.
I like the March rally because, being from Minnesota, I have a serious itch that hasn't been scratched in a while. I was still riding here in October.

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking about Daytona