Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hot - 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Zack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Hot - 07 Ultra

Is it enough to have a PIII installed or is it necessary to do pipes and air intake also?

I just want to cool it down some.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Dave_B
Advanced
Default RE: Running Hot - 07 Ultra

I'm hoping the Parade Map I've heard about will do it for me; supposedly it just makes it run richer from 0 to 10% throttle. I haven't veified that there's actually such a thing, but if there is, it wouldn't require even a PC. I'm happy with the performance and pipes, like you I just want it to run a little cooler.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:32 AM
copout221
Cruiser

Yes you can reprogram the factory ECM with the PCIII and leave the stock exhaust and A/C. It is not the best thing for performance but will definitely help richen up the fuel and cool the bike down. My bike runs much better now that I changed the mapping of the ECM.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Zack
Cruiser

Will most HD dealers install a PCIII? Or is it necessary to go elsewhere?

Old 10-01-2006, 01:52 AM
copout221
Cruiser

Yes, dealers will install it but it really is easy. I prefer the SERT over the PCIII because it does not fool the factory ECM into doing what is needed plus you don't have to bypass your O2 sensors which WILL VOID your warranty if the dealer finds out. The SERT (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner) actually re-programs the factory ECM (very easy to do) and allows the O2 sensors to be retained and utilized. Either the PCIII or SERT can be installed by a novice in less than 30 minutes. Remember, the PCIII is a module that is always on the bike. The SERT is simply software with a small box that allows you to re-program the factory ecm and adjust fuel, ignition, idle, redline, engine idle temp management, plus a ton more.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the SERT a program that allows you to plug your laptop into the ECM?

Old 10-01-2006, 04:42 AM
copout221
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Yes, it involves two cables, software, and interface module. The module is what allows you to program the ECM but it also marries itself to the bike through the vin #. This prohibits the SERT from being used on other bikes. After it is married it can only be used on that bike.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:46 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: copout221

ORIGINAL: KeithB

Yes, it involves two cables, software, and interface module. The module is what allows you to program the ECM but it also marries itself to the bike through the vin #. This prohibits the SERT from being used on other bikes. After it is married it can only be used on that bike.

The SERT won't void the warranty?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2006, 02:41 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First realize that the SERT is definitely not, in the MoCo's words, for "road use". Screaming Eagle RACE TUNER. By installing and reprogramming the ECM with a SERT the dealer is voiding the EPA configuration/specifications. Puts them in a difficult position. While all it takes is a little mechanical knowledge and about 30 minutes, I'd recommend that you have the dealer do the installation - that way there's no question about what else might have happened whilst you were under the seat.

I've heard once or twice that folks with SERTs have had warranty issues, but it seems that the issue boiled down to how the ECM was remapped/reprogrammed and not that it was done with a SERT (or that a SERT had been installed on the bike). Once the ECM is reprogrammed it is flagged as having been modified and even if the map is "stock" it'll still report that it's been modified. If the reprogramming results in components being operated outside of MoCo configurations and they fail, you might find yourself in that "modified, not warranteed" space.

All that being said, the reason you're going to put a SERT on is for better performance and operation of your scoot. What can be faulty in that logic?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 PM
jlbratc
Intermediate

Screaming Eagle RACE TUNER. Is that all i will need to make the bike run cooler ,I need more fuel do you have a part# I have a 2007 softail H

Quick Reply: Running Hot - 07 Ultra