General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hot - 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Running Hot - 07 Ultra

ORIGINAL: TowJam

ORIGINAL: kato1964

I just read about a factory program download (free) that rectifies this. Apparently cuts fuel to rear cylinder while sitting, and turns it back on when you hit the throttle. Supposed to be seamless to the rider, but keep you from feeling like a pig on a spit. Check your local dealership for details.
You're referringto the "Idle Temperature Management" download. Useless. It onlyshutsdown rearcylinder combustion when the temp reaches a certain level and thebike must be idle and not moving.Lot of good that does you in stop and go traffic.
Um yeah, it WILL help in stop and go traffic. It runs the bike on half the explosions at idle, when the second cylinderisn't needed, and when there is no air flowing over the cylinder. Please tell me a BETTER way to cool the engine down when you're stopped?

Old 06-09-2007, 10:51 PM
GMarx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm have my '06 streetglide fitted with a 120 cubic inch engine. Running to lean and getting too hot was discused with alot of people. I'm installing a oil cooler and putting in ThunderMax system with O2 sensors. Thundermax will auto set fuel mixture for me. Thus engine runs cooler with peek performance.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:04 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um yeah, it WILL help in stop and go traffic. It runs the bike on half the explosions at idle, when the second cylinderisn't needed, and when there is no air flowing over the cylinder.
Reread my post. It only shuts down the rear cylinder when the bike is stopped. Once you engage 1st gear and start to move, the rear cylinder is once again enabled. This "band-aid" is only effective if the bike is truly sitting idle. In stop and go traffic, you're generally inching along - and I can't believe that disabling/enabling the rear cylinder doesn't cause some type of long-term wear. In addition to having a one-time free download, you are also able to get a one-time free removal of the update. I checked into this when I was going to have the 1k service done on my '07 Road Glide and the service manager was very candid - he said that many of the customers that have done the download at that dealership have come back to have it removed.

Please tell me a BETTER way to cool the engine down when you're stopped?
Simple - the way it was done on the FI-equipped '06 and earlier models - a 3 stage approach:
a) lower idle RPM
b) richen the fuel mixture
c) adjust the rear cylinder firing sequence (although this would only kick in when the bike was stopped)

I'm guessing that EPA compliance forced the removal of the 3-stage heat management system for '07.

Air cooled engines CAN be designed to run much cooler- take BMW boxers for example (although they have a huge advantage by having both cylinders out in the airflow and away from the rider). However, as long as Harley complies with the EPA, eschews catalytic converters, doesn't include stock oil coolers and remains with the v-twin design which puts the hot rear cylinder right under the rider, I don't foresee any significant heat relief coming on the stock '08 models.

Just my $.02 (and worth every penny)

Old 06-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain

This is probably a silly question, but what the heck - the only silly question is the one you're afraid to ask.

If you add an aircleaner, EFI tuning device and pipes (stage 1) are the air cleaner and pipes making the bike cooler or is it the EFI retune that is richening the air fuel mixture and thus cooling the bike ?

I guess my question is - would my bike run cooler with a complete stage 1 or would just a SERT or PCIII or some other device with a "richer" map cool it just as much ?

Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

You'd want the complete Stage 1 - not only will it be running richer with the SERT or PCIII, but the engine is "breathing" easier.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

Gmarx, and HOW MUCH IS IT COSTING YOU? My POINT is, if you need and want performance upgrades (also gets rid of heat issues)spend as much as you want on your ride. For those of us who feel the bike is ok stock (minus the heat problem) don't expect me to pay for something (performance) I am not interested in. My Ultra is perfect in every area for what it ws designed to do, TOURING. The exception is...it runs TOO HOT.

Sorry for the RANT, seems I'm overwhelmed lately. I am fully aware of what I can do, should I decide to pay for it, to get the heat down. I choose not to, cause it ain't my problem...its Harleys.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:07 AM
swipter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

You'd want the complete Stage 1 - not only will it be running richer with the SERT or PCIII, but the engine is "breathing" easier.
That is true but if the heat is caused by a lean issue in reality it isn't running rich after the SERT or PCIII. It is running the way it should. Even without the pipes or air cleaner. I don't mind the sound of the stock exhaust (at speed) so am a little hesitant to go the complete route. I also don't notice much of a heat issue on my SG.