General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hot - 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Running Hot - 07 Ultra

The two things to do are get the download that shuts the back cylinder at idle and install an oil cooler.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd complain to H-D and have them do both...

Oh, and remember the always accurate advice - never buy the first year of anything new.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Fun Rider 05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Victory is air and oil cooled with 6 qt of syn.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 AM
cbigbie191
Road Master

ORIGINAL: FLHDRIVER

My RANT!

I can't understand why everyone puts up with the HEAT issue and lets the MOCO get away with it, by paying EXTRA bucks for a fuel management system. It is my opinion that the MOCO should FIX the HEAT ISSUES (which they dam well knew about) under warranty. If you bought a new LEXUS, Chevy Pickup, Or Honda and had a heat issue, what would you be doing? You would take it back to the dealer and tell em to fix it. No way would a dealer (scumb**s that they are) tell you or expect you to shell out for aftermarket parts to fix the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Ultra, but have rode enough of them, in all kinds of situations, to know the heat issue is not right. If they couldn't meet EPA standards with the 96, they shouldn't have introduced it, until they found a fix. If that means its time for water cooling, well, then so be it. To put the blame on the EPA in this case is ridiculous, to make their customers pay is CRIMINAL.

We are our own worst enemy, by letting them get away with it.

Many here are into the performance upgrades and that is a good thing. Some have a fasination for chrome, a good thing also and some of us like it stock. What I'm saying is, if you like adding to the base product, go for it, but the bottomline is the stock motorcycle (in this case) should run properly without having to spend extra bucks to make it right. It will take some time, but I intend to try my damest to make them get my bike right...on their nickel, not mine.

Rant Ended...Thanks....
You got it buddy!!! I agree. My 07 Fatboy runs hot, oil temp is 250 with ambient temps around 68 deg F. Can't wait until summer when the bike will overheat going to the gas station 1/2 mile away. Ridiculous. My first and last HD.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:42 AM
rtrostiii
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: oilhog

I was in for my 1000 mile service last week and was talking to the H-D tech about the pcIII. He said that they had replaced several pcIII's due to sudden failure of the unit. He also recomended just doing the stage 1 download. It would not e much fun to be on a roadtrip and be stranded.
Oilhog,

I get the same speech from the folks at my dealer every time I mention that I have had/ have a PC III on my ultra(s). Yada, yada, "you should sell your PC on ebay, buy a sert (if you can find one!) and then pay for the dyno, downloads etc.

I repsect those who go the SERT route, but my PC III hasbeen on two bikes (no single use tied to VIN!) and you can download and install your own maps that solve most folks problems with Hot Bikes. Just look around for the raves for folks like Jamie at Fuel Moto USA.

Oh yeah, it takes me 4-5 minutes to return my bike to "stock" before taking it in for a service.

Don't want to rekindle the VHS/Betamax wars, but remember, the dealer makes NO MONEY from you with a PC unless theyoffer PC dyno testing!

Good luck

Old 06-09-2007, 09:00 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

The two things to do are get the download that shuts the back cylinder at idle and install an oil cooler.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd complain to H-D and have them do both...

Oh, and remember the always accurate advice - never buy the first year of anything new.
Its on the list of things to do. I will let them exhaust all efforts to get the het down to acceptable levels. At first I ws willing to meet them half way, but I came to my senses, I'm NOT spending any of my own $$$ to fix the heat issue. Too many here act like SHEEP and are willing to just give it up. Me, I rather be the WOLF. I don't mind spending money on my Ultra, but not to fix a known defect with the motorcycle.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeeze people. The MOCO delivers an air-cooled EPA complient bike to you that meets the current emissions standards. It runs HOT. They MOCO says it runs HOT. The fix is simple. Install a Stage I kit with the pipes, air cleaner and fuel management device of your choice. Be done with it and enjoy your ride.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

I was at the dealer yesterday talking with a guy with an ultra that was shutting down from over heating. He was really distressed. His oil is only running at 230 degrees when it shuts down. The dealer said his heads were 360 degrees and they were discussing how to get more air on the heads. I told him that is just not right. If his oil is only 230 it shouldn't be shutting down. I thought perhaps the sensor was giving a false reading and causing the bike to shut down.

Now get this, he has a stock 06 engine...not the new 96. There was another guy there with an 04 that told him that his oil runs at 260 and doesn't shut down.

The poor guy was so frustrated. I felt bad for him. He was thinking of canceling his trip to Americade this weekend because he would get stuck over and over.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:32 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: kato1964

I just read about a factory program download (free) that rectifies this. Apparently cuts fuel to rear cylinder while sitting, and turns it back on when you hit the throttle. Supposed to be seamless to the rider, but keep you from feeling like a pig on a spit. Check your local dealership for details.
You're referringto the "Idle Temperature Management" download. Useless. It onlyshutsdown rearcylinder combustion when the temp reaches a certain level and thebike must be idle and not moving.Lot of good that does you in stop and go traffic.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:41 PM
JHarley143
2nd Gear

I agree about the fact that HD should do something about the problem of heat and also the 5th gear noise. Somehow the company seems to get away with customer problems, and yet want us to spend lots of dollars on service, add-ons, etc. If anyone hears of a class action suit I would like to get aboard.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:46 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Jeeze people. The MOCO delivers an air-cooled EPA complient bike to you that meets the current emissions standards. It runs HOT. They MOCO says it runs HOT. The fix is simple. Install a Stage I kit with the pipes, air cleaner and fuel management device of your choice. Be done with it and enjoy your ride.
That helps but stop kidding yourself. If you're interested in lowering the heat, and really interested, you want the download that shuts the back cylinder and an oil cooler. It's a shame that they don't add to performance, like the things you're suggesting, but you've got to lower the oil temp 50 degrees (for when it's really hot outside). Since most 88's have a stage 1 and pipes and run at decent temp, what's that really gonna do for a 96, get ya 245 on a 100 degree day?

Quick Reply: Running Hot - 07 Ultra