General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hot - 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Running Hot - 07 Ultra

Sert part # is 32107-01E, however i think theone with the newestmaps is the G version (32107-01G)

you also might look at getting a SE Race Fueler.

The SE catalog is downloadable off off of the HD site at http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...agle_parts.jsp

they have been on back-order nationwide for some time. you will probably have to shop around to find one.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read about a factory program download (free) that rectifies this. Apparently cuts fuel to rear cylinder while sitting, and turns it back on when you hit the throttle. Supposed to be seamless to the rider, but keep you from feeling like a pig on a spit. Check your local dealership for details.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Chazzman
Advanced

Don't this just suck and the 110's are worse. Spend 20-35 grand and have to spend another wad to make the bike run normal.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

My RANT!

I can't understand why everyone puts up with theHEAT issue and lets the MOCO get away with it, by paying EXTRA bucks for a fuel management system. It is my opinion that the MOCO should FIX the HEAT ISSUES (which they dam well knew about) under warranty. If you bought a new LEXUS, Chevy Pickup, Or Honda and had a heat issue, what would you be doing? You would take it back to the dealer and tell em to fix it. No way would a dealer (scumb**s that they are) tell you or expect you to shell out for aftermarket parts to fix the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Ultra, but have rode enough of them, in all kinds of situations, to know the heat issue is not right. If they couldn't meet EPA standards with the 96, they shouldn't have introduced it, until they found a fix. If that means its time for water cooling, well, then so be it. To put the blame on the EPA in this case is ridiculous, to make their customers pay is CRIMINAL.

We are our own worst enemy, by letting them get away with it.

Many here are into the performance upgrades and that is a good thing. Some have a fasination for chrome, a good thing also and some of us like it stock. What I'm saying is, if you like adding to the base product, go for it, but the bottomline is the stock motorcycle (in this case) should run properly without having to spend extra bucks to make it right. It will take some time, but I intend to try my damest to make them get my bike right...on their nickel, not mine.

Rant Ended...Thanks....

Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FLHDRIVER, Good luck in getting the MoCo to respond to your complaint. I went round and round with them when I bought my '05 Sportster—it ran like crap and all I could get out of the dealer was, "just do a Stage I, that's what everyone does." I eventually did and it fixed all the problems. But the issue was, and is, there shouldn't have been any problems in the first place. As you rightly point out, we would settle for this type of thing from any auto, truck, or any other manufacturer in regard to their products, so why does Harley get a pass?

I recently asked my local H-D sales manager (someone I've known for a long time) if this issue came up often at his dealership. He said it was their number one complaint and the hardest thing to explain and justify. As to blaming the EPA, other manufacturers seem to be able to put out bikes that meet EPA spec without loading extra expense onto their customers, why not Harley?

Bottom line is, we have only ourselves to blame. By rolling over for Harley all these years, we've set a precedent that not only allows them to get away with it, but profitfrom all the after-sale shop work and parts that we, cheefully, pay for.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
oilhog
Tourer

I was in for my 1000 mile service last week and was talking to the H-D tech about the pcIII. He said that they had replaced several pcIII's due to sudden failure of the unit. He also recomended just doing the stage 1 download. It would not e much fun to be on a roadtrip and be stranded.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make a heat shield for the rear of the engine on the seat.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
E DOGG
Road Master

they sent me a "RECALIBRATION UPDATE" Letter in the mail. I turned it in and it ran cooler. maybe it was just for some of us.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I knew about the heat issue due to reading it on here and other forums, as well as other owners. So, I bought my PC and had it ready for when I brought the bike home. Put it on at 13 miles. Stock RK. No pipes, hi flow air cleaner, no nothing. Stock map, plus I fiddled with the map to add 15% fuel in 21 blocks from 0 to 15% throttle. It runs great, and no hotter than my '06 Glide I had did. That had a stock 88".
I'll tell ya, after that 13 mile ride home, I thought the engine was gonna melt down. I can't possibly see how these things are going to last even through the warranty with those engine temperatures. And the dealers are just puppets for the motor co. Like a bobble head doll, just shake their head up and down and say " duh, yup, they run hot uh huh".
I decided on the PC over the Harley "race" tuner, due to I refuse to give them money to fix an inherent problem. How can S&S twin cams meet the EPA regulations without overheating? How about Victorys? They're air cooled, and don't have this problem. Whatever... Mine runs great now. That's all I care.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer

John T, hey I'm John T also...

Anyway, I go back a very long way with my dealer and hopefully we can work something out. My only other alternative (have to start somewhere) would be to start in Small Claims Court. One could sue for the cost of the upgrade (SERT, Air Cleaner and Pipes) even if not installed yet or after the installation. I think one could do very well. First, you exhaust all remedies at the dealer and Harley Tech rep level. They willcontinue to push the FIX on you, at your expense, which is unacceptable. I know if I were a reasonable person, judge or jury person and the heat issue facts were expalined to me, I'd side with the owner. I think they could/would relate to the auto example I outlined in an earlier post. I am sure that eventually some one will go a step further and go for a Class Action Suit, especially if these motors start self destructing a few years down the road.

Quick Reply: Running Hot - 07 Ultra