General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar saved me a ton of money

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011 | 01:24 PM
moondog99
|
Road Warrior
Default Clay bar saved me a ton of money

I screwed up and painted a 16 ft utility trailer outside my shop and forgot to turn off the exhaust vents which sucked in all of the overspray back into the shop. And it seamed all of the overspray made a B line and landed on my bike. I found it the next day and had a cow. Tried to remove it but could not. Took it to two painters and both said I would have to get it repainted. A buddy if mine said to try to clean the paint with a clay bar and WOW! It not only removed the overspray but the paint looks better now after waxing than when I bought the bike 4 years ago. That clay bar is amazing!!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2011 | 01:49 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

I love what the clay bars do for the paint!! I have tried Meguier's and Griott's Garage clay bars and they are both excellent and the best investment I've made so far to improve the finish of the paint. Much better than regular waxing alone.

Old 01-07-2011 | 01:50 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Ouch! glad you got it clean up. Have wondered about those clay bars myself, might have to try one out now that I've seen an honest review.

Old 01-07-2011 | 01:52 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

have never used a clay bar....just exactly what does it do....assuming its something along the line of rubbing compound? Can it/will it ultimately ruin a paint surface if overused?

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:01 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

WE use Meguiars clay once a year on my bikes and the wifes car. It makes the paint surface really smooth by taking all the tree sap, tar and other cruddy little bits off the paint surface. You can feel it - if you run your hand over the paint and it feels slightly rough then you clay it and it feels smooth.

There's no point in polishing until you've got that rough feel off with clay. Also if you polish and loosen these little tough bits of microscopic dirt into the cloth it kind of makes the cloth abrasive but the clay wraps over these bits of dirt

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:04 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hoethree
have never used a clay bar....just exactly what does it do....assuming its something along the line of rubbing compound? Can it/will it ultimately ruin a paint surface if overused?
No, it will not ruin a paint surface. It's really not an abrasive like rubbing compound is.

All a clay bar does is help remove contaminants (tree sap, paint over spray, etc) that are stuck to the paint.
You use a spray detailer to keep the surface lubricated, otherwise the clay will stick to the paint.

Note: If you drop the clay bar, throw it away and get a clean one as it will pick up every piece of sand, dirt, etc. and then it will be like sand paper.

Once all the contaminants are removed, the paint surface is as smooth as glass. Then you need to use a good coat of your favorite wax to protect the finish.

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:41 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain

Good to know, thanks.

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:45 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master

I'm glad it worked out for you. I would hate to think what a paint job would cost.

Old 01-07-2011 | 02:54 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer

Originally Posted by RollaMo
No, it will not ruin a paint surface. It's really not an abrasive like rubbing compound is.

All a clay bar does is help remove contaminants (tree sap, paint over spray, etc) that are stuck to the paint.
You use a spray detailer to keep the surface lubricated, otherwise the clay will stick to the paint.

Note: If you drop the clay bar, throw it away and get a clean one as it will pick up every piece of sand, dirt, etc. and then it will be like sand paper.

Once all the contaminants are removed, the paint surface is as smooth as glass. Then you need to use a good coat of your favorite wax to protect the finish.
Excellent advice!

It is also great for removing those itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny spots of rust that you find on the tailgate of a pick-up. In fact, it's the only way I've ever been able to remove them. Compound and a hi-speed buffer even fails at that.

Old 01-07-2011 | 06:06 PM
Uncle Ernie
Cruiser

I've used clay bars for years on the cages, works wonders. I mainly use Griot's clay bar with their Speed Shine product as a lubricant. Mrs. Rubble even uses it on the house windows and the shower doors. Leaves glass unbelievably clean and spot-free. But throw it away if you drop it! It will pick up the finest grit and rub it right back into the finish.

Quick Reply: Clay bar saved me a ton of money