General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar saved me a ton of money

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011 | 07:41 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Better late than never, I have been compounding over spray off my bike for two weeks wincing the entire time. I buffed the bags and tank with the compound and after reading this thread went a picked up some clay bars. Cleaned up the front fairing and front fender with the clay, it felt a lot better rubbing the bike with the clay than it did with the compound. I still need to clean the rear fender, I hope to get it done some time this week.

After using the clay bar, I think the bike looks better than it did when new.

Old 01-10-2011 | 08:18 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior

I was waiting for someone else to ask this so I didn't look stupid, but no one has, so I'll ask......will it remove any scratches/swirls from black paint?

Old 01-10-2011 | 08:26 PM
mcain49
Road Master

I've used clay bars for years and they work great. Sometimes you can get some really good prices on clay bars and cleaning solution if you buy online in quantity. I've used many different brands and some are better than others but they all work pretty well. They even have them now at the local Wally World. Definitely worth using once or twice a year.

Old 01-10-2011 | 09:28 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain

I use warm soapy water when I clay. Don't waste your money on the sprays.

Old 01-10-2011 | 09:28 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
I was waiting for someone else to ask this so I didn't look stupid, but no one has, so I'll ask......will it remove any scratches/swirls from black paint?
No, they will not remove scratches.
It only removes "surface" contaminants.

The clay is not an abrasive like rubbing compound is, so it only removes surface contaminants like over spray, tree sap, etc.

A scratch is "in" the paint, not on top of it.

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:54 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow. Combo shot! I bought a clay bar and ended up saving a ton of money on car insurance!

Old 01-10-2011 | 11:56 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RollaMo
No, it will not ruin a paint surface. It's really not an abrasive like rubbing compound is.

All a clay bar does is help remove contaminants (tree sap, paint over spray, etc) that are stuck to the paint.
You use a spray detailer to keep the surface lubricated, otherwise the clay will stick to the paint.

Note: If you drop the clay bar, throw it away and get a clean one as it will pick up every piece of sand, dirt, etc. and then it will be like sand paper.

Once all the contaminants are removed, the paint surface is as smooth as glass. Then you need to use a good coat of your favorite wax to protect the finish.
What he said. I clay bared my car last year...turned out great.

Old 01-11-2011 | 06:39 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RollaMo
No, they will not remove scratches.
It only removes "surface" contaminants.

The clay is not an abrasive like rubbing compound is, so it only removes surface contaminants like over spray, tree sap, etc.

A scratch is "in" the paint, not on top of it.
I shouldn't call them scratches, more like swirls and rub marks in the clear coat, not the paint.

Old 01-11-2011 | 10:23 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

I shouldn't call them scratches, more like swirls and rub marks in the clear coat, not the paint.
Try some Meguiars M105. Check out the Meguiars web site for a forum and lots of how to's and videos.

Old 01-11-2011 | 12:20 PM
bparsel
Tourer

My bike had a lot of these imperfections in the black paint. I used meguiars Quick Detailer with a clay bar, followed by polishing with Meguiars "Ultimate Compound" and then finally did a good coat of meguiars yellow wax. - Looked new again.

Yeah Yeah, I love meguiars. I detailed professionally and those were the only products I used on expensive vehicles.

Quick Reply: Clay bar saved me a ton of money