General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar saved me a ton of money

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011 | 08:07 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I've used the Mothers clay bar kit for like the last five years on my cars and bikes. Really makes a big difference.

Old 01-07-2011 | 10:25 PM
steelpony5555
Tourer

Yep does great on overspray. Years ago the plant next door to my work spewed out paint epoxy and covered our vehicles in our parking lot. Our company hired someone to clay all our cars. I had an old beat up pickup and told them not to worry bout it but they did it anyways. That old truck never looked so good. I use it now and do the car and bike every now and then. It's alot safer then buffing your vehicle.

Old 01-07-2011 | 10:34 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Glad I read this thread. I knew about clay bar but have never tried it. Now I have been reminded again and will pick some up.

Old 01-07-2011 | 10:34 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member

Clay Bar for Dummies

Just wet the paint with water, then with a bucket of carwash soapy water (or dish soap (Dawn...) if your want to really remove any & all waxes) or a spray bottle of carwash soapy water (Dawn...) spray the paint and rub the paint surface in a straight line with a front to back sweep of the bodywork ... rinse - repeat. DON"T RUB IT DRY. Then feel the paint with your hand, it should be smooth as clean glass. My HD was very smooth from brand new, my vette from the factory was not smooth at all, but is now ...

Usually you got to buy a carwash kit which includes the clay bar in the kit,
I've never found the clay bar sold separate ... Feel your paint, if it doesn't feel like glass you need clay - or something ... or screw it and go for a ride

Old 01-07-2011 | 10:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I've used clay bar for years on my collector cars and bikes. It does a great jog of smoothing the surface for the polish. I find that once a year is good enough.

Old 01-07-2011 | 11:18 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Meguiars does sell a separate bar the size of a bar of soap ( found it at a car paint supply shop).

Its basically a sticky type of clay ( hence the water needed ) and will lift industrial fallout even( I get that here ).

As you use it you need to keep folding it over to expose a clean part of the bar ,, otherwise

what you lifted may cause scratching.

Just like your detailing cloths keep the bar under cover(zip-lock ect) so as to not get a wind born dust on it.

Old 01-08-2011 | 12:53 AM
scasey
Road Master
Default great product

I used it on my black cobra for years does a great job. First time I tried it I was nervous because I had not done it before but it is simple

Old 01-08-2011 | 01:22 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm gonna go out and get some.....gotta try it now.

Old 01-08-2011 | 02:09 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
Usually you got to buy a carwash kit which includes the clay bar in the kit, I've never found the clay bar sold separate
Any automotive paint supply store sells clay bars separate.

Old 01-08-2011 | 05:23 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Plus you can make things out of them when they have out lived their use. lol

Quick Reply: Clay bar saved me a ton of money