General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beannie Helmet......question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:03 PM
BudsNiteTrain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beannie Helmet......question

This is not for bashing, just some real feedback. I have never worn a real helmet, so take that in mind. I have tried a dot half helmet and it felt like it was going to tear my head off over 65 mph. Too much wind resistance. I dont do windshields so thats out. Well i stumbled across a beannie type helmet that fit well and snug, and had a little bit of padding inside. Love the way it looked and feeled on my head. Almost couldnt tell i was wearing helmet. I asked the girl at the shop if it would be better wearing that helmet than none. She said no, novelty only. I still to this day cant grasp that. How could not wearing a helmet be better than wearing something with a little padding and a hard shell. What do you think on the matter. I hate helmets but am willing to wear that beannie.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Beannie Helmet......question

ORIGINAL: BudsNiteTrain

This is not for bashing, just some real feedback. I have never worn a real helmet, so take that in mind. I have tried a dot half helmet and it felt like it was going to tear my head off over 65 mph. Too much wind resistance. I dont do windshields so thats out. Well i stumbled across a beannie type helmet that fit well and snug, and had a little bit of padding inside. Love the way it looked and feeled on my head. Almost couldnt tell i was wearing helmet. I asked the girl at the shop if it would be better wearing that helmet than none. She said no, novelty only. I still to this day cant grasp that. How could not wearing a helmet be better than wearing something with a little padding and a hard shell. What do you think on the matter. I hate helmets but am willing to wear that beannie.
I feel the same as you.Worn beanies & nothing else.But I have a friend who went down three weks ago(wearing a beanie),he's still in a coma & had part of his brain removed.So I'm looking for a comfartable DOT now.Those carbon fiber helmets seem to be the closest out there.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno the answer to your question, I suspect that it has something to do with liability and in a serious crash, it wouldn't really be effective. I do know a lot of guys are getting those carbon fiber helmets and are compairing em to the beanie...so if you're actually looking for protection you might check those out.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:13 PM
bs2100
Cruiser

It provides more protection than no helmet, but between no helmet and the dot half it's waayyy closer to the no helmet. If you went down with one of those it'd probably just crack open right away and become totally useless.

If you do want to go for a dot helmet there's a few places that sell dot helmets that are barely larger than the novelty ones, they are kind of pricey.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 PM
ADay73
Cruiser

What brand is that CF DOT above?

Old 09-30-2006, 11:23 PM
BudsNiteTrain
Advanced

where do you get those carbon fiber helmets? If it looks and feels as light as the beannie i would go for it

Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
bradvols
Cruiser

www.carbonfiberhelmets.com little pricey at aroun 200 bones but small and comfy I have the dot polo style flat black LOVE IT!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser

www.Carbonfiberhelmets.com I have the DOT polo style and I did not think they shipped anything in the box when it was delivered. They are very light and nice quality the inside could be a tad better but it works!

where do you get those carbon fiber helmets? If it looks and feels as light as the beannie i would go for it

Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody please enlighten me why your willing to wear a Beanie type helmet, that is pretty usless if/when you go down as to wearing a good helmet that may, just may, save your life. I know all the reasons people say that they don't want to wear one..But if most of you were honest to yourself, and to us, it is the thought of the image that you want to look like, going without, or with a law defying Beanie, you really want to look Cool..how cool is it to leave part of your brain on the roadway after you go down, beleve me, from experince, that ruining a $500.00 helmet was a lot better then my head, and make no bones about it, I would have been dead, instead I got up and rode 100 miles home..

I must say though I respect your right to go without, and I will fight for that right for you..I just want to know why you will put a $200.00 pretty usless Beanie on, when for $200.00 you can wear a 3/4 or full helmet?? lot of the new Fullface helments are pretty light weight, and Harley has come out with a real nice new line of helmets, some are fullface that have a flip up front, which means you can put on and take off the helmet without removeing your glasses..might be worth checking into...[sm=biker.gif]

Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

www.Carbonfiberhelmets.com I have the DOT polo style and I did not think they shipped anything in the box when it was delivered. They are very light and nice quality the inside could be a tad better but it works!

If you mention HDF you still might get 10% off

Quick Reply: Beannie Helmet......question