General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beannie Helmet......question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beannie Helmet......question

I have been down in a DOT approved half helmet. Helmet took a pretty good hit, roll, and skid. I think a lot of why you see so much damage on full face helmets is the front sticks out so far. I went down probably 35-40mph and the helmet did what it should, not a scratch on me above the shoulders. My jaw and face were not injured despite the fact that I rolled over several times. Had I been wearing a full-face there is no doubt in my mind the jaw piece would have been tore up cause it sticks out 4 inches further than my jaw does. I personally would not wear a "beenie" (non-DOT) half, but I think the DOT halfs do offer a significant amount of protection. Just my opinion. I just got one of the carbon fiber helmets and for DOT it looks pretty good. Here it is up next to a DOT Bell Drifter.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:00 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BudsNiteTrain

what this post boils down to, i want to hear from someone who went down with a beannie. How was the outcome? Did the beannie help more than hurt. Keep in mind, i dont currently like or wear a helmet.
thats an interesting request. i suspect the people who crashed with a beanie on and were not hurt will tell you it was fine, and the ones that left their face on the street are probably not riding any more, or have Busey'ed so will not respond.

since I know of such a person, ill tell you his story. he was wearing a DOT approved 3/4 helmet with a little plastic face sheild on it. looked ok, for him, and kept the bugs out of his face.

one evening while making a left turn from a stop sign his front wheel sliped on something in the intersection and he dropped his bike at about a walking speed. he woke up in the ambulance with a concussion, a chipped front tooth (ouch + $$$), and some minor facial damage.

really not such a bad injury. didnt lose an ear, or get brain damage. still, he lost money, most of a tooth, and a few dollars. was he lucky or unlucky, who knows. He wears a full face helmet now, but I dont think he rides so much anymore.

So a helmet is like anything. maybe it saves you, maybe it doesnt, every accident is different. youre probably not going to hear from the people a beanie didnt protect though. maybe from the people they left behind like hogaholic though. ultimately the choice is yours.

just yesterday, i was ton up and hit a bee. hahah, made quite a noise thru my facesheild. wouldnt have wanted to have taken that in the face.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want protection wear a DOT approved helmet. If you don't want protection and helmets aren't required in your state don't wear anything. I don't even understand this debate.