General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's and Torque Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,801 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
everybody's mechanical ability is different...
Having been a Machine repairman for 39 yrs Ive tightened nuts and bolts thousands and thousands of times.

So I can pretty well get the torque close to what its supposed to be without a TQ wrench.

but on some jobs such as the motor one still needs to right on,, not just close....

So I have and use TQ wrench when and where I feel needed...
Exactly. I've turned enough wrenches to know how tight to get most stuff, but some things need a torque wrench. If you're not sure, it never hurts to use a torque wrench tho.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

I've felt they are necessary. Did my own cam change, and in places like primary cover and drain holes, I think it is pretty important. I tend to over tighten, and this helps me get it right.

TedMan

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Torque wrenches are a good investment....I have a whole box of stripped out chit to prove it. My last strip out was my inner primary drain plug because I was too lazy to get up and get the wrench. DOH!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put myself in the **** category of someone who torques everything but I wonder how many people take into consideration what kind of lube or thread sealer is on the threads or if they are plain dirty. it does make a difference.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I always figure, if a guy in a white coat spent the time to understand a part, well enough to create things like torque specifications, that means they have thousands of lab hours understanding what is too tight, and what is too lose (to the point of mechanical failure)...

Then I should pay attention.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look in the service manual you'll find a list of "critical" fasteners. I always use a torque wrench when checking/installing these type of fasteners. Do i use one all the time...no. Example: I've taken so many primary covers off that i could probably do it blindfolded. I can judge the proper torque on these bolts just by feel.

Most people worry about not getting a bolt tight enough. In most cases, they should worry more about overtightening. Overtightening a bolt is just as bad - if not worse. The bolt becomes stressed and prone to break under load. Using proper torque values prevents overtightening. I think anyone new to wrenching should use a torque wrench for everything.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to scare you guys, but if you've got older torque wrenches they're worth finding someplace to get them calibrated.

I have a 12-ish year old craftsman digitorque wrench, 1/2" drive. Through my work we get them QC'd every year to be iso compliant. Mine have lost torque each year, and this year it was finally out of spec and I can't use it for anything. It reads appoximately 10% under now, so when you dialed in 100 ft/lbs, you only got 90 out of it before it clicked.

I'm religious about dialing it back to zero after each use too, and it's never been dropped. Older stuff WILL eventually go out of cal.

Like many of you, I do critical fasteners with a torque wrench, most other stuff by feel.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm ASE certified. And have been a professional mechanic for over 50 years. The last 25 at a brewery where I worked on every type of machine from a Jet turbine powered generator to a bottle washer. I don't use a torque wrench on everything, but if it states a torque value, I do. I don't know how many threads on this site have people bitchin about breaking off this bolt or that screw. or an oil leak for under torqueing a cover. It doesn't take that much trouble to use a torque wrench.