General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's and Torque Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a Snap On tork wrench, hardly ever use it. I just tighten nuts and bolts down with just feeling it.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Way back in the 60's we build hot rods and fixed everyone's car. Never used a torque wrench. Until rear ends and engines started coming apart in pieces.

Have worked as a mechanic all my life, ASE certified, factory certified, torque wrenches make a difference. Yes you can get away with out using them. But if you want to be sure it was done right 100 miles from home use the torque wrench.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have always used tq. wrenchs on every engine, trans or what ever need a proper tq. value. They are used for many reasons as stated. One of the most under or over torqued things that people do is allum. wheels on cars. If you ever wondered why that brake pedal pulsates? I have over 50k on the RK with no (NO) oil leaks. Now I am not saying that some one who has wrenched forever cannot tighten up a bolt or bolts evenly, but with torque wrenchs so cheap nowadays why not?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My question is, why wouldn't you use a torque wrench on anything with published torque specs?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It is a wise decision to at least torque the fasteners on the critical fastener list. It sure does not take much longer and as it states in the owners manual it could lead to serious injury or death.

In the recent past there has been several posts about the bolts shearing off on the rear belt pulling. So not only is torque specs critical but not reusing certain bolts is important also.

When I do something, I believe it is worth doing right. It also gives a certain satisfaction about doing quality work on a machine. That is why I don't take it to a dealer.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Eddie A.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit that I have a habit of over thinking things. That being said, I believe that torque values are listed in the service manual for a reason, so I torque accordingly. I do have several buddies that believe in the 'ole goodn'tight method too though.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always Lock tight and Twrench everything with my scoot. I have the value book and go over the bike all the time with it.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Turbo Flux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
everybody's mechanical ability is different...
Having been a Machine repairman for 39 yrs Ive tightened nuts and bolts thousands and thousands of times.

So I can pretty well get the torque close to what its supposed to be without a TQ wrench.

but on some jobs such as the motor one still needs to right on,, not just close....

So I have and use TQ wrench when and where I feel needed...
Couldn't aree more oct1949. I wrenched for GM dealers for 17 years, after a while you can get real close by feal. However, some folks never get the feel for it. For them, a TQ wrench is a must all the time. I always use it on engine or driveline parts.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Lots of good responses so far. And a few different opinions as I expected.

And just to be clear, I do have several torque wrenches and use them when it's appropriate.

Nothing wrong with torquing every fastener if it makes you feel comfortable. I just don't think it's always necessary.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently used my torque wrench for the first time, when I put an engine guard on my wife's Sportster. I didn't need it, but I have it, so why not. Everything else I've ever done has been fine without it, from Derby covers to handlebars and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Harley's and Torque Wrenches