General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MetalArts Horns, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default MetalArts Horns, Anyone?

I've had my eyes on a set of these trumpet horns for a couple years and was wondering if anyone has a set and how they are holding up?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I've had my eyes on a set of these trumpet horns for a couple years and was wondering if anyone has a set and how they are holding up?
I have the long trumpets, they have been on a year, no drama. I lay on them up pretty good on Welcome Home missions.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had my set for about a year and a half and they're holding up great. Be sure to get the shorter set of horns. Les at Metal Arts said that the longer horns tend to crack because of the vibration.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ftanner
I've had my set for about a year and a half and they're holding up great. Be sure to get the shorter set of horns. Les at Metal Arts said that the longer horns tend to crack because of the vibration.
Shorts on rubber mounted engines, the longs are fine on counterbalanced.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,230 Likes on 727 Posts

Been looking at these also. Do they wire up using existing wiring or do you need to upgrade the size of the wire? Is a relay necessary?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Been looking at these also. Do they wire up using existing wiring or do you need to upgrade the size of the wire? Is a relay necessary?
5 minute install using the stock wires, nothing else is needed.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by doghair
I have the long trumpets, they have been on a year, no drama. I lay on them up pretty good on Welcome Home missions.

Doghair....love your bike man! The horns look great on it...are those Roadhouse pipes? Like them?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Doghair....love your bike man! The horns look great on it...are those Roadhouse pipes? Like them?
Thanks man! Yeah they are Roadhouse. They sound as good as they look.

I did wait until I found the horn cheap on eBay. The retail price is stiff.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well guys this was a good experience and I had a good time fabricating and installing these horns. First let me say is “WOW these things are loud as H.E. double hockey sticks!”

Attachment 149379

What I did was, removed the seat, and lowers, so I would be able to gain access to the wiring and battery. After taking about 30 minutes to figure out what I would need and looking at the wiring kit which was sent with the air horns, I realized I did not have enough wire length, so I set out to “*****’s” in National City.

If you have never been there and live in San Diego and need electrics, great place. Very helpful.

After *****’s I headed to Home Depot for some Plumbers bracketing and some metal rain gutter meshing then I headed home.

I completely took the lowers apart and then decided where to cut away. I made an opening at the bottom of the lowers for the wiring to enter the under portion of the horns. I then drilled a hole on the side of the lowers for the wires to exit the lowers to the frame of the scooter. After completing that, I decided to make an opening on the side of the lowers, so the sound would escape and not sound muffled.

Attachment 149380

Attachment 149381

Attachment 149382

I took the shape of the trumpets and then using a cutting wheel and sander, opened the lower. I placed a piece of the rain cutter on the inside and glued that with an epoxy I got from Home Depot. I was uneasy cutting into my lowers, but I think it turned out really nice. I do plan of painting the scoot next year, so that should clean them up even more.

I ran the wires under the tank and down to the battery. After figuring out the wiring for the two horns, I hooked everything up and wanted to see how loud they would be. When I hit the horns, my dog who was sleeping in the garage on his pillow jumped, I damn near chited myself, the wife came out to see what was going on and the kids down the street playing football in the street all stopped and looked. I was pretty sure I had the effect I was looking for.

I put it all together and went out for a ride. I went to my local dealership I usually hang out at and showed all the workers. They thought the horns were insanely loud. I hit the horn for them, i heard the echo down the street.

The video doesn’t do these horns justice on how loud they are. I’m very happy with them. I was screwing around coming home and pulled along side a guy on the freeway. I wanted to see if with a window rolled up and someone not paying attention, if the horns were loud enough to gain someone's attention. I found a guy talking on his phone, it was perfect. I pulled up along side and hit the horns; he dropped his phone and looked at me like, “What!” PERFECT! hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v900lmkB2vw

Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 AM
SFORAFF
Advanced
Default Horn on my Heritage

Very Nice

Last edited by SFORAFF; 01-07-2011 at 02:03 AM.