General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis campgrounds??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,509 Posts
Arrow +1 Hog Heaven

Close to downtown Sturgis, Close to I-90, far away from the zoo east of Sturgis. We've stayed there for years now after trying just about every other campground in the hills.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:03 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Flux
Ok, let me expand:
Do not prefer big party atmosphere and nude parades (I'm a puss, I need sleep)
Close enough to Stugis to shuttle in at night
Shade for tent camping
Beer and food on sight
At least warm showers
Prefer a band
Prefer easy access to I-90 for escape to day-rides
www.shadevalley.com has everything you're asking for except close to I-90....only 5 miles past the chip...I would stay here again in a new york minute

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
www.shadevalley.com has everything you're asking for except close to I-90....only 5 miles past the chip...I would stay here again in a new york minute
We stayed there 2 years ago. It was horrible. A mile and a creek crossing toget to the washrooms. Meant you had to **** on the ground outside your tent. The wives were not impressed. I would never stay there again, nor recommend it.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:15 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I have stayed at Hog Heaven 3 times now. It seems to have the best location for getting out of town or into town. You can make a right at the end of the entrance to HH and go under the freeway, past the ball field and park right in center of town to walk around. no traffic this way and also a quick way out if needed. Its quiet at night and beers are not that expensive. They have local bands every night that aren't that bad. bathrooms kept very clean 24/7 and decent food a good prices. Just my preference, I have checked out the others and even went there to see them first hand and I still end up back at HH.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I just got off the phone with Bear Butte Creek Campground and I have a smokin deal for someone if they are willing...

They tell me that, since the wife and I will only be there from the 5th through the 8th or 9th, they will split the cost with someone else willing to take my spot when I pull out on Tueday or Wednesday. So if you were planning on coming in on Tuesday or later, and want 1/2 price RV camping, get ahold of me asap. I'll be in one of these sites: 30 AMP SITES-electric and water: $475 for up to a 10 day stay, price includes 2 people Additional people $125 per person. These sites are 25x50 drive-throughs. Here is the website, let me know.

http://www.bearbuttecreekcampground.com/index.html

If this thread dies with no interest I'll start a new one. I've stayed here 2 different years, tent camped last year, it's an OK campground with everything you need. Stays pretty quiet. My only issue with it is that it is on the "wrong" end of town, pretty much just across the road and up a bit from the Chip, which means you're fighting the traffic in and out of town.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
We stayed there 2 years ago. It was horrible. A mile and a creek crossing toget to the washrooms. Meant you had to **** on the ground outside your tent. The wives were not impressed. I would never stay there again, nor recommend it.
they now have portopotties set up throughout the grounds as well as a superclean shower area with HOT water...things have been upgraded from 2 years ago

Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Turbo Flux:
Based upon what you have said, I'd recommed either the Rapid City KAO or the Mt Rushmore/Hill City KOA, depending upon how close you wnat to be to Sturgis. Both are on the South side of I90 which puts then in the better scenic riding areas and gives you access to any entry to Sturgis you wish. Both are reasonable, quiet and clean. The Mt Rushmore, I can vouch for. I have never stayed at the others, but have never been disappointed with KOA anywhere.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdman6
I have stayed at Hog Heaven 3 times now. It seems to have the best location for getting out of town or into town. You can make a right at the end of the entrance to HH and go under the freeway, past the ball field and park right in center of town to walk around. no traffic this way and also a quick way out if needed. Its quiet at night and beers are not that expensive. They have local bands every night that aren't that bad. bathrooms kept very clean 24/7 and decent food a good prices. Just my preference, I have checked out the others and even went there to see them first hand and I still end up back at HH.
Stayed at Hog heaven 5 or 6 times of the past years and have taken advantage of their earlybird rates now $115 from Aug 3rd until Aug 14th. (was $65 yrs ago) The special pricing was for tent camping.
Leroy

Old 01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Originally Posted by hdman6
That's where I stayed for 3 nites last summer. I think it was $25 or 30 a nite for tenting. Shuttle busses to downtown if ya wanted to. Decent food, good prices and 3 dollar beer. I would recommed it for sure and would stay there again if I ever make it back.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I will chime in with another vote for Hog Heaven. Stayed there the last couple of years. As others have said, good food, clean hot showers, close to the highway for quick exit for rides. Also close to downtown, even has a bus shuttle. We will continue to stay here in the future.

Quick Reply: Sturgis campgrounds??