General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 guys with the rattle are not going to be happy

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:36 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 07 guys with the rattle are not going to be happy

Just got back from my dealer and every time I stop by I inquire about the whole 07 tranny noise.

Anyway, the sales manager showed me the letter they just recieved from Headquarters.

It basically states that they are aware of the complaints that the dealers are recieving about the noisey transmissions. They futher go on to explain how 1st and 5th gear are straight gut and the rest helical, blah blah which we already knew.

The part that some of you are going to hate is that - this is the normal mechanical noise that owners will experience with the new 6 speed transmissions. The sales manager thinks that HD will do nothing about this because it's not a mechanical issue just noise. He said it's the same principle as when people went from the old evo motors with the rubber mounts to the new motors and everyone complained on how ruff is was at idle.

He went on to tell me that before any new 07 bike they sell they will show the customer the letter they got before the purchase so they know what to expect.

I told him that there will probably be alot of P.O.'d owners that are experiencing the noise but he said unless HD tells them different there isn't much they can do or offer.

Hopefully this is just speculation but he let me read the letter as well. I bet sales will drop in 08 if they continue to make this tranny.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 07 guys with the rattle are not going to be happy

For the most part I dont believe the 5th gear whine is that big of a deal.Mine is quieter than several weeks ago.It will get noisier on hot days.The guys that are complaining have the OTHER noise.The rattle,rocks in a can sound.This is what they are raising the ruckus about.Today i duplicated this noise in front of dealer on his dyno when he couldnt on the hwy and on his machine.I honestly think he now knows what the stink is about.His rep will also hear this noise next week.I can make my bike do this noise for all of them to hear.Bring all the BIG BOYS,this bike will change your mind.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: pittguy

For the most part I dont believe the 5th gear whine is that big of a deal.Mine is quieter than several weeks ago.It will get noisier on hot days.The guys that are complaining have the OTHER noise.The rattle,rocks in a can sound.This is what they are raising the ruckus about.Today i duplicated this noise in front of dealer on his dyno when he couldnt on the hwy and on his machine.I honestly think he now knows what the stink is about.His rep will also hear this noise next week.I can make my bike do this noise for all of them to hear.Bring all the BIG BOYS,this bike will change your mind.
Glad you made them hear it!!! keep us informed.
I was at the dealer today and a service writer read me the letter they got when I inquired about any updates on the rocks in a can noise my trans has. She is pretty sure that the letter is HD's final answer to our problem.
I had a more hope yesterday than I do today.
Maybe when the rep hears your noise, and you let us know what he says, I will be able to print it out and take it to them.
Thanks, keep up the fight.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we should start gathering the troops,,, as I think we are about to get our marching orders,,, General Pitguy, we are waiting on your comand!!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 08:33 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I am committed to this and will let everyone know what comes of this next week.Im really not sure HD is aware of this since everyone is pointing to trans which began with whine noise first.Hd seems to be combining all problems under whine noise.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:34 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Relax men,take an extended leave,I will get back with you all when I find out more.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:36 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept telling him about the rocks in a can noise and he kept telling me about the gear issue but I think you guys are right - there are 2 separate issues. I think this letter was more of less addressing the "WHINE" that some are experiencing.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:38 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes I agree.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Japscrap
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pipes are so loud I can't hear myself think let alone sirens or gears.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but is this an 07 issue only? Or a certian model?

My 06 DWG 6spd is smooth and quiet. Trust me, I worked in NVH for years, and did some benchmarking work on HDs for the "other" US bike builder, and mine is very quiet. If you think your HD is loud...try the "other" brand. UGH!

Quick Reply: 07 guys with the rattle are not going to be happy