Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Signal Lights - Red vs. Amber

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
softone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed over to the red lenses with the quick connect - about $25 (tho I got mine free in a trade) and think they're great. More visablilty all around. More rear lights that are always on. Easy to do under the seat. Highly recommend.

Last edited by softone; 12-31-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: adding
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
When I ordered my new rear signal lights, that I intended to use also as aux. brake and running lights, the vendor talked me into amber, instead of the red I wanted.
He said a lot of states don't allow red turn signals.
I've been running them for over 4 years with no problems or tickets.
Don't know which color you are suppose to legally have.
Tom
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...=r49CFR571.108

Look at Tables III and IV at the end.

Here is a summary:

Head, Tail and Stop Lamps

All vehicles are required to have fully functioning head, tail and stop lamps. There should be four head lamps in total that are placed on opposite ends of the vehicle's vertical center line. The two upper and lower beam head lamps should be positioned directly across from one another at a distance that's practical for the vehicle's design. Two red tail lamps are placed on the rear of the vehicle along with two stop lamps that operate in conjunction with the vehicle's brakes. Trailers are also required to have both tail and stop lamps that are fully operational while the trailer is being pulled.

Turning, Identification and Clearance Lamps

Turning lights should be visible at all times. Vehicles are required to have two turn signals at both the front and back in either a red or amber color. Trailers are also required to have rear turning lights. Identification and clearance lamps are necessary to help other drivers determine the dimensions of the vehicle and promote safe driving in hard to see conditions. The identification lights should be placed as close as possible to the hood or near the top of the cab. The Department of Transportation requires three separate amber identification lights on the front of the vehicle and three red lights in the back. These lamps should be placed close together so that their centers are not more than 6 to 12 inches apart. Clearance lamps indicate the width of the vehicle and follow the same color scheme as identification lights. There should be two lamps at both the front and back of the vehicle, placed directly across from each other as close to the edge as practical.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 12-31-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Mine came with amber rears, I put on smoked.
Then I bought the run/turn/brake kit and it came with red so I put them on and didn't like the look after having smoked so I went back to the smoked cover but with a red bulb, now it looks good, just a dim red glow for running lights and bright red for brake & turn.