General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:31 PM
RickD
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Harley

I stopped in two different HD dealers in the Daytona Beach, FL area to buy a Sporster Low Rider 1200. Neither dealer would come down in their price. Both said that HD sells only at MSRP.

Is this universally true of all HD dealers?

Old 09-29-2006, 03:35 PM
BigJohn
Cruiser
Default RE: Buying a Harley

Mostly. I havnt seen or heard of any ever 'wheeling and dealing' at all. They figure if you dont buy it, someone else will. And for the most part, they are right.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:42 PM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser

A few years back you couldn't get Harley at MSRP, dealers had a mark-up over 5% with waiting periods on several models. The MSRP is the standard. You may be able to get the dealer to negotiate first service and/or give you a t-shirt.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM
beatrice11
Advanced

I haggled when I bought mine as they were trying to sell all the 2005's before the 2006's came out.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:24 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

End of Year models can be had for below. Do not know of any that sell below on the new models.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some even charge over retail. Welcome to HDF from upstate New York

Old 09-29-2006, 05:17 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you had asked for a regular model you might have recieved a slight discount, but no dealer is going to deal with you on a hard to get or very popular model this soon into a model year unless youre a regular customer of his.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 06's were the first year they started out the new season at MSRP. Right now they are trying to get rid of their remaining 06's and those can go below MSRP. Some areas to deal in with the 07's are setup fees, discounts off of future purchases of chrome and cloths, future service checks like a free 500 mile or such. Shop their interest rate so they don't make money off you there. Watch that your not paying for chrome and extras they put on that you don't want. It's not like it used to be but it's still a dealers market for the 07's but a buyers market for the 06's. The hard part is some of the dealers are slow to change their way of thinking from the old days. Shop them on the internet at other dealers around the country, hard to argue with you when you show them an add from an authorized HD dealer that is selling at less than what your dealer wants. Good luck, it's a bigger battle than buying a car ever is.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try another HD dealer in the area. Had a friend who bought a Deluxe in Beaumont, Tx and lives in Louisiana. Tim

Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Mees
Stage III

I was born in Norway, and moved to England 7 years ago, so would just like to know what the price is like on a Sportster 1200 in the USA. Would be interesting to compare and see how much different they are, especially since the prices in Norway could include alot of tax.....

ONE WORLD, ONE MACHINE........HARLEY DAVIDSON!!!

Quick Reply: Buying a Harley