Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer loyalty?

I live in a remote area of California, and we have a dealership locally. The other nearest dealerships are 3 hours away to the south and east. I have been hesitant to shop anywhere else due to stories I hear about locals that have bought elsewhere and were given the less than loyal to this dealership attitude when scheduling services or for emergency repairs, sometimes getting the we could fit you in two weeks from now bit. Are HD dealers like this elsewhere? I have a chance to test ride at one of the other dealerships but have been told that its unethical to test ride and buy somewhere else. My local dealer doesn't budge on sticker price but from what I hear is fair in every otheraspect. He is the sole supporter of the local HOG as well. I don't have a problem paying MRSP but at the same time don't want to be shunned if I found a nice deal at one of the other dealerships.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a chance to test ride at one of the other dealerships but have been told that its unethical to test ride and buy somewhere else.
HAHAHA!!

That's a good one.

That's a left over from the days when dealers thought that they were doing YOU a favor by letting you overpay them for one of their bikes.

In my personal code, it's unethical for me to pay more money than I have to fairly pay for something.

That being said, I bought my bike in a city 100 miles away because they gave me the best deal and were very friendly and fair to deal with. The local guys would not budge on the price, but on top of that they were rude and dismissive. So guess what? Not only did I buy 100 miles away, I ride 100 miles to get service.

It's a nice ride there and back. I get to stop and visit the folks on the way home too. Works out for everyone..

When I am ready to buy another, I will give them first shot and the utmost consideration.... and I will weigh their attitude and our relationship vs the best price I can get. I'll pay them a little bit more this time around if I have to, rather than save a few dollars by buying from the two local dealerships who treat me as if they are doing me a favor by working on my bike.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Spend your money where YOU want to spend it...YOU worked for it, don't let anybody guilt you into the loyalty thing.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a local Dealer 10 miles away. I tried to buy my bikes there, but couldn't get a deal. I ended up buying my last bike 160 miles away in another state. If they want my business, they will have to match the other guy's price. as far as service, any Dealer service department will be glad to take your money. They don't care where you bought the bike.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Mikebiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wallet Loyalty!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
A dealer shunning you because you buy else where, sounds like black mail to me and personally I would not deal with a dealer like that to include service or anything else the dealer profits from. I would go else where in a heart beat. If more people went else where, your dealer would either learn to deal or shut their doors.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain

A dealer shunning you because you buy else where, sounds like black mail to me and personally I would not deal with a dealer like that to include service or anything else the dealer profits from. I would go else where in a heart beat. If more people went else where, your dealer would either learn to deal or shut their doors.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased three bikes from the same dealer. She's the best on price by far, but she's a four hour round trip. I live only 2 miles from one of three local dealers, but he won't sell me a bike because he won't match her price.

Even so, all of my shop work has been done at the dealer just down the street. He treats me like I'm going to win the lottery next week and go into business with him. He's buttering his bread with my happiness and we're both happy. He gets some of my money, and I tell everyone I know that he takes care of me. I also tell everyone I know that I got a better price on all three bikes at the out-of-town one. Both dealers are professionals to the core.

I can't understand the mindset of a dealer who would **** off a potential customer. An angry customer will tell hundreds of people who to stay away from. A happy one might tell a dozen who to go to, but only if asked. Just look at this forum for examples!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:10 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master

Originally Posted by cameraboy
HAHAHA!!

That's a good one.

That's a left over from the days when dealers thought that they were doing YOU a favor by letting you overpay them for one of their bikes.

In my personal code, it's unethical for me to pay more money than I have to fairly pay for something.

That being said, I bought my bike in a city 100 miles away because they gave me the best deal and were very friendly and fair to deal with. The local guys would not budge on the price, but on top of that they were rude and dismissive. So guess what? Not only did I buy 100 miles away, I ride 100 miles to get service.

It's a nice ride there and back. I get to stop and visit the folks on the way home too. Works out for everyone..

When I am ready to buy another, I will give them first shot and the utmost consideration.... and I will weigh their attitude and our relationship vs the best price I can get. I'll pay them a little bit more this time around if I have to, rather than save a few dollars by buying from the two local dealerships who treat me as if they are doing me a favor by working on my bike.
+1. Very well said. I'm more loyal to my money than any dealer. My only vote is with my money. If a dealer wants my money they have to treat me fair.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my dealer would act like they wanted me to be loyal I probably would be. I live within 20 minutes of 2 different ones and bought my new bike an hour away because of the whole corporate feel of the local ones.

Quick Reply: Dealer loyalty?