General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I guess it all depends on the dealer...

We have 4 dealers within 50 miles of us. We skipped our home dealer (where we bought our FLSTC and are HOG members) and went to the other 3 first. We told them what we wanted (FLTRU) what we had to trade (2009 FLSTC 11500 miles) and told them to make us their best offer. 2 dealers made us pretty good offers and one wanted to rape us.
We then went to our home dealership and walked right up to the sales manager, Brian. We told him we wanted the FLTRU on the floor and that we had been to 3 other dealers that day to hear their best offers. We told Brian we would rather buy the bike there and then asked him what he was willing to do.
4 hours later we we the owners of that RG Ultra. Using a combination of trade in value, no shipping and some assorted freebies (saddle bag guards, second head set, air deflectors) Brian beat the best deal by nearly $1000. I was a happy camper.
Would they have made us as good of a deal if we were not "friends of the dealership"? I doubt it. We were loyal to them and they were loyal to us. Overall I am quite happy with our dealership.
Just to let you know thats Lake Erie Harley in Avon Lake, Ohio.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mavrickFLHR
I'm in with everyone else.. I work hard for what I have so my first loyalty is to myself. In the last 2 years..we've purchased four bikes.. one used, and three new from the same dealer. First one we bought there was a new '09 ultra, the second was a used '07 883 low.. the third one is a 2011 superlow 883 for my wife and the fourth one is my play bike..a new 2011 XR1200X. In fact, we took delivery on the two sportsters the same day..

Now, I have 2 other dealers close by, and a third one roughly the same distance as the one we use... I have remained loyal to the one guy, strictly because he understands and accepts my "first loyalty". Since we've been going there, they have worked very hard to take care of us. They haven't always been the rock bottom lowest price to buy.. but they make up for it with superlative service and attention. They gave me a huge price break on the extra's, engine guards and a quick detachable windshield, I bought for my wife's superlow. And yea I realize the XR's aren't hot sellers but, none the less I got a terrific out the door deal on that bike.

The best part of all this is. the service guys..as far as I'm concerned, they are nothing short of outstanding.. and there's been more than once where they went way above and beyond working with me to have a bike ready when I needed it. And the best part is again, we never are asked to pay the listed prices for work..

I get it that customer service is their job.. and yes, we've spent a lot of money with them.. but none the less, they continue to do whatever they can to take care of us, and make us feel like part of the family. Their efforts don't go unnoticed. When I hear issues that friends have had at other dealers.. I'm convinced I'm at the right place and as long as things go the way they're going.. I don't see any reason to change. Again the bottom line is its my money.. you want my buisness.. prove it. This dealer has done just that.. and as long as they continue to do what their doing, I will remain a very loyal customer.

Cheers

mavrick
+1. Well said. The dealer is working to make you happy so you'll give them money. This is how the system works best. I have no loyalty when it comes to my hard earned money.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM
CMS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of buying a bike now. It is almost funny to hear what the sales people try to tell me. "We never discount off of MSRP", "We will pay the sales tax if you buy today" "If you pay MSRP we will give you 20% off all mods" I know they are trying their best and dont fault them for that but I never liked the used car approach to get my business. I just could not imagine someone using the line that I am buying a lifestyle. When you think you have heard it all....

Old 12-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The nearest 3 dealers are 110 miles from me.
I was buying parts from http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/.
Since they've raised their prices, http://shop.zanottimotor.com/ gets my business. Parts got here quicker also.

Maybe Chicago HD got too big for their staff or thought they had a customer for life.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:52 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it really interesting that no matter how many financial reports you read about dismal sales of a particular brand, when you go to a dealer selling that brand, he has been having, of course, a great year and is moving tons of product.

so they say.

Of course, they have to pretend so that you don't sense an advantage, but I can't get over how they do this with a straight face.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM
EW1959
Tourer

Why should I feel loyal to a dealer when I had to take my bike to service 4 times before they actually did something to fix my bike. It was a 2010 Heritage with 1k miles on it and was loosing oil. They tried to tell me I didn't know how to check the oil correctly. The forth trip I made I had paperwork from when I bought it and told them they could keep the damn thing. I told them that I wasn't paying for a new bike that used oil. They finally checked it out and the valve guides were put in incorrect at the factory. They fixed it but it took my threat of leaving the bike with them for good before they acted on it. I DON'T FEEL ANY LOYALTY WHAT SO EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
thundering02
Advanced

will drive more than 25 miles to go back to the dealership that Gruamach introd me to yesterday morning, most staff friendly (didn't talk to all) all have a clue all are riders all know the ins and outs of bikes. Better reception than many car dealers I've ever dealt with.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conversely... I have shunned dealers who would not match pricing in purchase price. Example... I was looking at two different 2009 EGCs in fall 2010. One knocked off $1500 plus other incentives. I offered to buy the other bike for $1000 off. They declined and I asked them if they really expected anyone to buy a year old bike for the same price as a 2010.
Similarly, I had a some bad experiences with a local bike shop so I never buy anything from them or get any service done there I have spent a lot of money since then... elsewhere.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

A few years back the motor in my '93 ultra ate a lifter. So I had the local dealer do the reman deal to it. A year or so afterwards I was due for a 10k service. I brought the bike in and was told " they don't work on bikes over 10 years old". So much for dealer loyalty.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My loyalty and respect will be earned....and it must be maintained.

Quick Reply: Dealer loyalty?