General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

The dealers make more on the bike after the sale (in most cases), so I can't figure out why the attitude. Collect the money for parts and service and smile all the way to the bank.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 7 dealers within 75 miles of me. I have tried to do business with the 2 closest. Once when buying my Ultra in 04, last year when looking to buy 2 bikes togeather for wife and daughter, and again this year when loking for me a spare bike (this was in Jan. and the bike I wanted is still there). The 2 closest dealers acted as if they didnt care if I existed much less bought from them each time. All 3 times I went back to the dealer (North Texas) that treats me like someone and gives me a deal here and there. Now I will not go anywhere else. So I am as loyal as I am treated.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM
AngelaS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpbrown
So I am as loyal as I am treated.
I think that is the point that a lot of dealers miss out on. Loyalty has to be earned. I full agree that one should be loyal to one's dealer, after they have earned your loyalty by providing you deals and service that are above and beyond what any two-bit dealer will do. Even simple politeness and timeliness will go a long way towards having me walk in their door again.

Being a girl, I've experienced quite a bit of salesmen looking down their noses at me or treating me as if I had no clue what I was talking about. Quickest way for them to lose my business right there.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Miz Roo
My local salesman sneered at a friend who brought cash to buy an ultra. He took his business elsewhere.
Where do people get the audacity to treat others in that manner.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter616
Where do people get the audacity to treat others in that manner.
Simple. No kick back from the bank of choice because its cash. Cash IS NOT King when buying a new vehicle. The dealer makes a pretty penny from "points" when they talk you into borrowing from their lender of choice. This has been going on for years. Most dealers find a local bank that will "float" loans at a discount compared to Eagle financing, and get money upfront because they "sold" a loan. Its in their best interest, no pun intended, not yours.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks yljkt

And people wonder why I've Issues

Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never been to a dealer for anything but to look at bikes buy some small parts or a T-shirt (I go to the dealers all the time, I just don't buy things there). So whether the dealer likes me or not doesn't matter much. I go by my home dealer a lot and tried to buy a bike there this year, but Cincinnati Harley gives me the best deals, so they have sold me 3 bikes.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikebiker
Wallet Loyalty!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, I have to agree, I work very hard for my cash and considering the amount of money these dealers take in, one would think that making the sale memorable would generate more and return business. My best friend just bought a bike and the only thing besides a bike and the warranty he bought through the dealer, he left with was a 25 dollar off certificate for that dealer specific t shirt! I hear of people having awesome experiences from dealers that seem very appropriate for such a purchase.

I will definitely shop around for the best deal. The local dealer is very friendly but as far as expecting anything extra no way.....

Thanks again for all the responses.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any of you bought a new boat from a boat dealer?

I don't know if this is the deal with pontoon boats or bass boats or runabouts, but the inboard ski boat industry has a f'ing racket going. The dealerships are not allowed to sell "out of territory."

The big 3 (or 4, depending..) are:
Malibu
Nautiques
Mastercraft
Moomba

When I bought my Malibu, I learned that a dealer runs the risk of getting their dealership blackballed if they sell to you and you live in another dealer's territory.

I know this was true for Malibu in 2004 at least, because I bought my boat from a Malibu dealership in Connecticut that was disowned by Malibu and was being cut off, so they wanted to just get rid of their Malibu stock. I got a great deal.

I don't live anywhere near Connecticut. When I bought the boat in for service to my local Malibu dealer, they asked a bunch of questions. They even cross checked my hull ID number. When they found out I bought it from a dealer who was "selling out of territory," they had a fit. It was ugly.

I did some research and talked to some dealers on some wakeboarding forums, and that's how I learned about this "selling out of territory" bullsiht.

Nice racket. At least harley doesn't force their dealers to get proof of your address and prevent you from buying from anyone except your local dealer. YET.

Quick Reply: Dealer loyalty?