General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

READ what these guys are saying; LOYALTY starts with you and your wallet.
I live in an area where there is only one dealership. He will not give a 1% discount to the locals but yet he EXPECTS that we only shop at his business. THAT'S his definition of LOYALTY.
Do yourself and your wallet a favour and shop where YOU want.

Ride In Peace

Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
R 103
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Humbolt. I live in Santa Rosa and bought my 2011 Road King Classic from Michael's in Cotati, in October. I shopped it HARD, all over the state and ended up buying 10 miles from where I live. Michael in sales is the best. Terry, Ron, Mike and Spencer in their Service Dept.......AWESOME.

Email me at levinecarrera@aol.com. We'll talk. And when you buy your bike, lets go for a ride!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Handlebarmike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all about the money,,,,your pocket or theirs......

Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought 3 brand new Harleys within a 1 yr time span...literally. I bought a Dyna on a Thanksgiving weekend, that next April I bought a Street Glide (same dealer). I got a good deal on the Dyna and was able to unload it quick and for the price I was asking for, so I wasn't to worried about haggling the price on the Street Glide. They threw in a 103, bunch of freebies, etc...I was ok with the deal (trying to keep that "dealer loyalty"). Well, the '09s came out and as much as I tried to convince myself I didn't need the new frame...I kept wanting it. So, that Thanksgiving weekend...I bought my 3rd Harley, '09 Street Glide.

I tried buying it from the first original dealer, but their #1 salesman insulted me. This time I was paying cash, no loan, straight up cash for it and wanted to see what they could do. Only offered me $1500 off (total OTD price)...when I said I have another dealer (an hr away) giving me the OTD price I wanted, but I wanted to keep the dealer loyalty and give them a shot to match (at least come close). That #1 salesman got angry with me and down right rude. I asked him who the F&@K he thought he was...that no one talks to me like that and he needs to consider himself lucky I was leaving him still standing as I left.

Needless to say...I blame most of the BS from dealers on the individuals, for the most part. I still go there only if a need a quick inexpensive part $10-$20...the parts girl is cool. But, if I ever buy a new bike or need to drop a few hundred on parts...they are not the ones.

The only loyalty is what has been mentioned already...to yourself. Do what you have to do and F&@k the rest! Just saying.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Signed on the dotted line in October for a new Limited. Went to 4 dealers and got 4 prices. Ended up buying from the dealer that I always go to. Their price was a little higher than the lowest but was in line on what I wanted to pay.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
yljkt
Banned

In 05 I rode bye 2 dealers to get to the 3rd who had the right bike and the right price. I do my own service and maintenance so that played no part in the decision. 1 of the dealers I drove bye is now out business, and the other recently made the boards here as going under very soon. Ya reap what ya sow.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in with everyone else.. I work hard for what I have so my first loyalty is to myself. In the last 2 years..we've purchased four bikes.. one used, and three new from the same dealer. First one we bought there was a new '09 ultra, the second was a used '07 883 low.. the third one is a 2011 superlow 883 for my wife and the fourth one is my play bike..a new 2011 XR1200X. In fact, we took delivery on the two sportsters the same day..

Now, I have 2 other dealers close by, and a third one roughly the same distance as the one we use... I have remained loyal to the one guy, strictly because he understands and accepts my "first loyalty". Since we've been going there, they have worked very hard to take care of us. They haven't always been the rock bottom lowest price to buy.. but they make up for it with superlative service and attention. They gave me a huge price break on the extra's, engine guards and a quick detachable windshield, I bought for my wife's superlow. And yea I realize the XR's aren't hot sellers but, none the less I got a terrific out the door deal on that bike.

The best part of all this is. the service guys..as far as I'm concerned, they are nothing short of outstanding.. and there's been more than once where they went way above and beyond working with me to have a bike ready when I needed it. And the best part is again, we never are asked to pay the listed prices for work..

I get it that customer service is their job.. and yes, we've spent a lot of money with them.. but none the less, they continue to do whatever they can to take care of us, and make us feel like part of the family. Their efforts don't go unnoticed. When I hear issues that friends have had at other dealers.. I'm convinced I'm at the right place and as long as things go the way they're going.. I don't see any reason to change. Again the bottom line is its my money.. you want my buisness.. prove it. This dealer has done just that.. and as long as they continue to do what their doing, I will remain a very loyal customer.

Cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 12-29-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice if there were as many bike dealers as car dealers, would make it alot easier to find better deals, only one HD dealer anywhere within reason of where I live, and they know they have you by the short and curleys when they know you want a bike.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Miz Roo
Road Warrior

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

My local salesman sneered at a friend who brought cash to buy an ultra. He took his business elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Sales and Service 2 different animals at the dealer.....I think service brings in way more money and is the dealerships cash cow......as Ron said, they'll gladly take your money no matter where you bought the bike

Quick Reply: Dealer loyalty?