General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Cost Oil Catcher

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM
martinbastin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Cost Oil Catcher

Go here, scroll down about 3/4 way down the page and make your own oil catcher.

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never filled my oil filter up with oil before screwing it onto the bike. Sounds logical but this is the first time I've ever heard of it.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by jb1023
I've never filled my oil filter up with oil before screwing it onto the bike. Sounds logical but this is the first time I've ever heard of it.
I've never not filled the filter up on my bikes or cars before installing.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I always fill the filter...have for yrs

Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been using the 2 litre coke bottle trick for about 8 years. Works great. On the bikes, I always pour some oil into the filter before I put it on. Just makes sense to me that it is a good idea to get oil pressure up as quick as possible and filling the filter helps with that. On the cars, I don't bother pouring any oil into the filter. Maybe I don't love the cars as much? LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
I've never not filled the filter up on my bikes or cars before installing.

As he say's it prevents "dry" startup since otherwise the oil has to be pumped/pulled from the resv through the filter and into the engine. Which like he says takes several seconds. Enough to hurt the engine? Maybe, maybe not esp with "some" old oil still in the engine. But it is still a very good method to use and always has been even though most people, including lots of "pros" don't do it.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never put oil in the new filter, but I do rub some oil on the seal. I mean it's not going to hurt the engine to start it up after an oil change. I know a guy that pulls the plug wires after the LOF and then holds the starter on for a few seconds to pump oil, but to me there is no differant in that then if the engine just starts.

As far as an oil catcher goes heres what I do. I take a plastic 32 or 44oz big gulp cup and cut it in half long ways then cut the bottom off both halfs. Then I take the larger end-the end you drink from and hold it right sung under the oil filter, then undue the filter so that it's still on the engine, but oil will drain out and then let the old oil drain out of the filter into that and down into the drain pan then remove the old filter and keep it in the half of cup till it's away from the bike. Very little mess this way and you can just throw the half of cup away when done since one cup will make you 2 catchers.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you that say that dry starting a motor does not hurt must have never seen the inside of a motor. You may not see the difference at first but it will take miles off the motor every time you do this.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the only time i have ever poured oil in a oil filter before installing it is when its a fresh engine build. other than that, i've never gave it a second thought. a solid engine will retain enough oil on all neccessary surfaces until the pressure comes up.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,661 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
the only time i have ever poured oil in a oil filter before installing it is when its a fresh engine build. other than that, i've never gave it a second thought. a solid engine will retain enough oil on all neccessary surfaces until the pressure comes up.
+1 on that

Quick Reply: No Cost Oil Catcher