General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Divine Manifestation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

On december 16th, 2002, I mentioned to my wife that I thought I needed a Harley. She told me that if I got one, she'd leave me. The next day, December 17th, 2002 I rode my new bike home (2003 FXD). It took her a long time to keep her promis. The divorce was not finalized until April 30, 2008.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better to ask for forgiveness then permission....lol

Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go get a deluxe already damn it!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't let us tell you what to buy...buy the bike that you want, except make sure it's a Heritage

Cheers,
Paul in Colorado

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Ockam
Tourer

Take her to the dealerships "Ladies Night Out." It is a good time and helps plant the itch in her to either be a passenger or ride one herself.

If you are going for long hauls and 2 up riding, the Touring bikes are the best bet.

Cruising town and 2 up riding with a classic look, soft tails .

Lighting asphalt under your tire and burning off some miles a Dyna.

If you want to keep up with the sport bike guys and ride circles around the other cruisers, a Vrod, though might be a bit rough for long distance riding.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM
dakota0712
Tourer

So what took so long! Tell her you'll save money because no more rental fees...she if she'll buy that... oh yeah, mention that you and her can experience the open road together.... be playing the song "Born To Be Wild" LOL ....that should do it!!!

Attached Thumbnails A Divine Manifestation-good-left-shot.jpg   A Divine Manifestation-pull-chock.jpg  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
ki4top
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We did decide on one that we both like (her for comfort) - Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
Well after all the test riding from renting I'm curious to know which model won out?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

oh, you're goood! I thought us wimmen folk had that whole manipulation thing covered...I particularly like your recommendation to use the "wintertime lowest-price-of-the-year approach"! Which, btw, if the OP acts FAST...he can add the once a year available "sell it before the end of the year to get it out of inventory and onto this years books" approach as well!

I also like your insight into the definite no vs. the soft no....of course, now that I think of it , most of you guys started learning that "difference" when you "came of age" and should have that one down pat by now!

Originally Posted by Elgin47
If your position is that you not only need it but you need it now - then I'd use the ol' wintertime lowest-price-of-the-year approach. First because it's obviously wintertime so you're good there; and secondly because the low price thing is mostly true as well - so you're being honest and making your case at the same time. And getting your bike. With the caveat that wintertime where you are and wintertime where we are is significantly different. But it's not spring or fall, anyway.

Of course that doesn't always work, and the danger is that you take it to the next level where she gives you a definitive "NO" as opposed to the soft "no" which can be conveniently interpreted to mean "yes". Going against the soft "no" gets you into trouble, but nothing she won't get over after you've done some appropriate minor penance. She likely expected you to do it anyway, depending on your relationship.

Don't back her into a corner and you're probably good to go.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In retrospect, I was smart owning a harley before getting hitched. And people think harleys are expensive...

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

My first Harley was a sportster. My wife did not want me to buy it but I told her I was going to do this. She adapted, but I don't know that that was really the smartest approach. Well, fast forward a year and I knew I needed a bigger bike and had my heart set on a softtail. This time I involved her in the process. She was real "iffy" about the whole thing but I asked her if she wanted to go down to the local dealer and just LOOK at some bikes. She said sure. Well, she got to looking at this brand spankin' new 2011 Heritage in Merlot. Lord it was beautiful, all shiny and chrome sitting there under the lights. She asked me what I thought about the bike. I told her it was too much money and I probably should go outside and look at the used bikes. She saw how much they wanted for the used bikes and told me I was nuckin futz....that for just a couple of thousand more I could get a brand new bike with a warranty.

Damn, it worked! I got her blessing on a brand new Heritage, even in the color I had been drooling over for months now.

Did I need her permission? Well no, I got my first Harley without it, but after 30 years of marriage, I know that life just works better if we are both on the same page.

Quick Reply: A Divine Manifestation