General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright Ass Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The BAL-1 was one of the first upgrades to my new bike. I know two people that have been rearended. One was hurt, but not too bad. The other was killed and his female passenger also died in the crash.

I felt it was a small price to pay for a little extra insurance that I will be seen from the rear.

I get comments on the light all the time, even from people in cages at the stop lights. Most are like "that sure is a bright tailight, what kind is it?"

Bottom line, I really like my BAL tailight. I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 PM
29of1050
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered mine today!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

I've seen the Harley version, and it's pretty bright. Price: $140.00. How do they compare?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,749 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
You are right! We don't want to buy from an American company! What a silly idea! Just because they came up with the concept, marketed it and have turned it into a sucess. Why would we want to keep American workers employed?
Sounds to me like you should sell your Harley and buy a metric wannabe. After all "surely one of the copy cat overseas companies will be offering nearly the same thing for a lot less"

Sheesh....
Yeah, what he said.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,342 Likes on 21,851 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Brighter still???
Yes, brighter still. I saw it out at my dealers. The parts guys thought so too.
They have a display for both the BAL and the Kuryakyn it appears to be a little brighter, however I have the BAL and it is good enough for me and certainly 100 times better than stock.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 AM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Default I've seen...

Originally Posted by Robert_W
I've seen the Harley version, and it's pretty bright. Price: $140.00. How do they compare?

Ride safe,

Bob.
I've seen and compared the Harley version and do not care for it at all in comparison. The BAL is WELLLLL worth the money.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
rellortnoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by DavesDyna
Headlight pulser? Tell me more.
The headlight pulser, or modulator, is from Custom Dynamics.

http://www.customdynamics.com/signal..._modulator.htm

It pulses the headlight in daylight and automatically stops when it gets dark. I've seen a few metrics with them, but don't recall ever seeing a Harley with one. I used to flip the headlight from dim to bright several times in daylight to help cagers see me better. Wanted a better way. Maybe a strobe. There just wasn't one available so I went with the modulator.

In daylight, it pulses (or modulates) the headlight on and off. There is a setting for two different flash rates. If you're on high beam, it flashes the high beam. If on low, it flashes the low. There is a sensor that turns it off at dark. A really kewel feature of the module is that it will automatically guard against headlight failure by switching on the other beam if one beam of your headlight burns out. I've always been a little apprehensive about losing my headlight in the dark. This solved that problem.

I know some will say that it will cause premature headlight failure, but I've run mine for over 12,000 miles without a burned out bulb. With the automatic burnout feature, I'm not too worried about it anyway.

I have literally seen cagers start to run out in front of me and then slam on the brakes when the pulsing got their attention. It won't prevent some jerk cager from someday running out in front of me, but I'm convinced that it reduces the risk by a great margin.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain

A lot of folks don't like the modulator, but everyone has their own opinion. I won't have one on my bike but I do have driving lights beneath my floorboards that I run every time I ride. It gives a triangle of light that seems to get the cagers attention. Whatever one desires to stay safe, ya know.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robert_W

Ride safe,

Bob.
I have the Harley version on my Softail along with the "Backoff" Brake module installed....(in blinks five times quickly then burns steady) and everyone says I stick out like a sore thumb when brakes are applied. It's also tied into my red/tail/running/brake/signal lights.... Is it as bright as the BAL,,probably not, but it keeps the cages back with it's LED Brightness and the pulse of the "Backoff" Brake module.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM
schv
Cruiser

Installing my BAL-3R is probably the best mod I've done to my bike (yet). I can't recommend them highly enough.

Quick Reply: Bright Ass Lights