General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

East Coast SUCKS for Riding!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgill
Best (favorite) riding spots:

1. Black Hills
2. Upstate NY Adirondack's & Finger Lakes
3. Blue Ridge Mountains
4. Great Lakes
Originally Posted by drbillk
Great riding anywhere in New England. Have to get away from the coastal areas and head inland to the mountains.
New England and Upstate NY have great mountain twisties, loads of lakes and great tree canopied roads

Originally Posted by bls72bmw
Try the upstate areas, Poconos, Berkshires, Catskills, Adirondacks, Vermont, Maine....get out of town and head NORTH!
My favorite ride I've ever been on is right in my home state of Massachusetts. It goes clear across the state up around the Quabin Reservoir, thru Amherst and Northampton (great little college towns with fantastic eats) then west throught the Berkshire mountains. Lenox, Stockbridge and Great Barrington are just gorgeous. Here's the route if anyone's interested.

http://mapq.st/gyE36v

The great part about the Northeast is the same ride can be completely different depending on the season. Tough to beat the foliage too.

Unfortunately the winter flat out sux

Rt. 30 in Gettysburgh PA is also super pretty!

Last edited by knewt5; 12-27-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

South Dakota, Wyoming

Old 12-27-2010, 05:02 PM
DRL1950
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To echoe what others have said, Upstate NY gets lumped in with the rest of NY and it is very different. Winter is a bear but when it's riding weather we have some great roads and scenery and very little real traffic.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo! as stated before, do not compare the whole east coast with Delaware. You need to get off the coast if you want to ride. Try rt 30 across Pa. past york and Hanover, you will find some nice riding there. Otherwise, think of this. If you lived in Deleware, woulden't you be pissed off too? Yanks are pissed off at the world, that's just the way it is. I hate going north of the Mason Dixon.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
marines267
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dustineal
I hope I don't **** anyone off but I cannot stand riding on the east coast. I'm in the military stationed in Delaware and can't wait to get out of here and go somewhere I can really ride. If it's not the weather it's the drivers. I'm a Texas boy and where I come from people don't drive around like they're pissed off. Now that I've got that off my chest I was wondering, what state do ya'll think has the best riding conditions and atmosphere?
arizona we get to ride year round

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldn't lump the entire east coast in, but some parts definitely. if i ride in jersey, long island, or the city you're basically fighting for your life, people i believe ARE trying to kill you. but where i live in up-state NY i have tons of open road and little congestion, perfect for riding.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
WILLETTS
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"If you lived in Delaware, wouldn't you be pissed off too? " this from someone who comes from a state where its legal (and encouraged) to marry cousins and siblings...

Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,162 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by dustineal
I hope I don't **** anyone off but I cannot stand riding on the east coast. I'm in the military stationed in Delaware and can't wait to get out of here and go somewhere I can really ride. If it's not the weather it's the drivers. I'm a Texas boy and where I come from people don't drive around like they're pissed off. Now that I've got that off my chest I was wondering, what state do ya'll think has the best riding conditions and atmosphere?
Pretty generalized, broad area there, no?
Can't help but to think the post was made to **** people off.
I'm from the east coast..more specifically New England..more specifically the state of Connecticut...more specifically the southeastern corner down on the ocean...on the shore. Some beautiful stuff here, some wide open areas too. I can head inland and ride in some gorgeous country. I can head a state or two north and get to some absolutely beautiful mountain areas (New Hampshire, Vermont). I can head east and get to some beautiful coastal beach areas (Rhode Island). More north, Maine has some gorgeous shore areas.

But I guess more my point....I think there are great areas to ride in all 50 states, in every nook and cranny of our vast and diversified country.

Guess I don't understand stereotypes...like when I read people hate "French" or "Canadians" or "insert some ethnic place like Puerto Rico". IMO you can find good friends anywhere, and you can find idiots anywhere.

Should I stereo type riding in Texas?....where I could presume to see cans of cheap beer fly out of the back of pickup trucks and bounce off of my bikes headlight? Or worry about getting a flat tire on some rednecks second to the last tooth that fell out of his mouth and landed in the road?

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 12-28-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it should be noted that texas is a very flat boring state to ride in compared to the east coast, the east coast (if you know where to ride) has areas completely unparalleled in the country other than maybe arizona, they have some amazing scenery and weather there.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Rapter-10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
Thanks for your service but please don't compare the whole east coast to Delaware...that's like saying all of Texas is like El Paso..
What an AMAZING quote...No joke, I cant tell you how many new soldiers I have to tell that too when they get to Ft. Bliss. Hell Paso as we call it

Quick Reply: East Coast SUCKS for Riding!