General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@#$% law suits

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexann70
...if you provide a product or service, you take on a responsibility to do so in the safest manner possible.
OK, I can accept that. As much as I hate to admit it, as more of the facts of the case are presented on this forum (assuming that they are indeed facts) it's beginning to make some sense. Without crafting another verbose response, let me just say that yours and Mapcase's posts seem to indicate that the court agreed that serving a beverage at a temperature that can cause the type of burn that Stella suffered is reasonably dangerous. I would tend to agree.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

u can get money if you burn yourself?

chit man i spilled a cup of hot cappachino on my lap 3 weeks ago ended up with burn blisters from it on my meat missle balzac for 3 days, all i got was a free coffe after i offered to sho th manager th burns.

if i hadda knnown i could score some dough ida gone and seen a lawyer rigth after taking pics of it

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM
badknees
Road Master

You can't blame the lawyers their making a living. The blame goes to the jury and or judges that award the money. No I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by badknees
You can't blame the lawyers their making a living. The blame goes to the jury and or judges that award the money. No I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.
I certainly can... It is lawyers that make the rules that allow this crap to continue, it is lawyers who have been elected to office that refuse to enact any type of tort reform.
A simple English law about loser pays would end a great many of these sillyass lawsuits.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
Doesn't water boil at 212 degrees? I did hear that their coffee was too hot. I can tell various Dunkin Donuts keep theirs hotter than others because it will taste burnt and it's too hot.
Pure water at 1 atmosphere pressure, yes. Changes in pressure and/or purity will shift the boiling point and/or freezing point.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
You must be a litigator......

Yes it does boil at 212º.
Nope, not a litigator. Sometimes they actually do something decent, though.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Dalbergia
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fogoms
(not sure how they maintain 220 degrees without the coffee boiling down to a tar-like syrup unless they keep it under pressure, but that's another matter altogether).
Admitting you are ignorant is the first step to being able to cure that condition, congratulations on taking that step. It is a pity you are not sincere about wanting to actually learn about it, though. You make it clear you want to remain ignorant, so I will refrain from explaining it to you.

So just how does putting a "Contents are hot" warning on cups solve the issue?
It doesn't solve the issue, and isn't intended to, just like all the other warning labels these days. Again, I'll refrain from ruining your blissful state of ignorance.

Remember, it's not about common sense or justice, it's about money.
That is the only intelligent thing you said in your whole post. Did someone else feed you that line? It doesn't fit with the rest of what you said...

Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Andjh123
Tourer

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I certainly can... It is lawyers that make the rules that allow this crap to continue, it is lawyers who have been elected to office that refuse to enact any type of tort reform.
A simple English law about loser pays would end a great many of these sillyass lawsuits.
I blame the plaintiff(s). As we continue with a society where personal responsibility is optional, fault is always elsewhere, and there exists a conundrum of law and regulation that requires ever constant additions to patch up the "loopholes" and move toward a more "civilized" existence, people will continue attempting to recoup their losses through whatever means possible.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 PM
cabletraveler
6th Gear
Default Inside information ??

Originally Posted by Dalbergia
Yes, there are some lame ones. The McDonalds coffee suit was not one of them, though. The coffee is supposed to be kept at 180 degrees, but that particular restaurant was keeping it at 220 degrees because it would keep longer at the higher temp. That extra 40 degrees is the difference between "wow, that was hot" and "Wow, where did my skin go?". Knowing the details is important if you are going to be passing judgement.

Just wondering where you got your infromation. Several links such as
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm says the coffee at that McDonalds was 180-190 degrees. There are several others, but they say essentially the same as this one. As you stated "knowing the details ......"

Last edited by cabletraveler; 12-28-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I still like the commercial where Jack poured hot coffee in the guys lap and followed it with cold orange juice and asked which one was better for breakfast.

On as side note though I kind of like what Old Billy said about lawyers.

Last edited by Other Sheep; 12-29-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: @#$% law suits