Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash to Pass Garage Door Opener Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Teachinator
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of buying a ready made unit I wired a remote to the high beam using a relay. Tucked everything under the seat and its been working great for the past 5 years with no problem. I hit the high beam down the block and the doors is open and ready for docking of the Big Twins.
PH

Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
I know the feeling, which is why when I tested it before putting the outer fairing back on and all was good, I just couldn't believe it when getting the bike completely back together, it no longer worked. Had my wife there to demo and, tada... nothing. And of course, she's laughing, asking why I didn't test it before putting it all back together. Took me some time to figure out that plugging in the headlight was causing it to ground out, and then make it stop working. Live and learn.
Hey Ultra, glad you got it working! I almost hooked mine up wrong because the yellow wire on mine (supposed to be white & black wires on 08) looked so faded light yellow that I couldn't tell which was which. Like I said in the video, it wasn't until I got a really bright flashlight right on them that I could tell the difference. Range is limited and maybe Flash2Pass should update their instructions, but, overall it's a great product. I hope this thread will come in handy to someone installing one in the future.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
Range is limited and maybe Flash2Pass should update their instructions, but, overall it's a great product. I hope this thread will come in handy to someone installing one in the future.
With all the rain, I haven't taken the bike out, but it does work with the fairing back on, so I'm happy. I agree that it's a great idea and seems like a great product, just the instructions are a little lacking. Anyone who turns wrenches probably would have figured out the problem in two seconds, but I'm the kind of guy that requires three trips to the parts store to get it right.

I did send the company an email with what transpired, so maybe they'll update the instructions for the next guy like me.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 AM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bookmarked, just picked mine up. Going in this weekend.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Blackhawks
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will make those late nights a little easier getting in!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a garage door opener that clipped perfectly to the side of my windshield bag, works great!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 45 Posts

This item is going on the Santa list today. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't feel like spending that kind of money so I bought a $7 remote from ebay, $18 relay (had some different colored wire already)and got it all wired up under my seat. Works like a charm with no need to do anything with the switch on the wall of the garage or anything on the house.

Last edited by gotnspikes; 11-27-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. Just found this thread. Went to Amazon and ordered. Can't wait!

$57 delivered to my door.

Michael

Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,524 Likes on 5,850 Posts

My low-tech fix was to remove the circuit board from the housing on an extra remote, solder wires onto the electric lead/pad on the Circuit board where the opener button contacts, and connect the other end of the wires to a momentary push button switch that I had in my parts bin. I then put the switch into a ball of play dough that I formed a truncated teardrop depression into, and potted the switch in JB WELD. When cured I hit it with Black textured paint and when dry stuck it onto the Brake fluid housing.

The "Exposed" circuit board was zipped into a baggy and tucked beneath the bread box Speedo/Tach on my bike to make it water resistant. .

Works fine, over 1 year now and I haven't even had to change the battery.

Granted I have a couple of hours into it, but I was fun to use "Stuff" that I had laying around to get a remote on the bike.

Oh-yea to increase the range I added some length to the Antennae wire hanging off the back of my garage door opener. Just a couple more inches did it for me.

Last edited by RaSh; 11-27-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Antennae wire note added.