Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash to Pass Garage Door Opener Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 492 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by budnlucy
Mine will only work about fifty feet away.
Mine is inside my faring and most times I need to be about 20 ft away before it works...it is nice to have though. Think I paid $50 something from ebay last year.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Ultra, was the motor running when you tried it with the light plugged in? If not, you might try it. Sounds like a low voltage problem.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry the Landlord
Ultra, was the motor running when you tried it with the light plugged in? If not, you might try it. Sounds like a low voltage problem.
Tried it both ways; will always work when the headlight is not plugged in, motor running or not. Found a couple of threads regarding the same problem using Google. The 'fix' was to use a 9V adaptor at the wall switch, so I went and bought one at Radio Shack: still doesn't work unless the headlight is unplugged.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM
a34655
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had installed a HD 3 gang switch on my dyna handlebars. 1 switch was for my LED lights 1 switch was for my Autotune and the third wasnt being used. A few weeks later I found an extra remote for the garage door in a junk draw so I opened it up, found the 2 terminals that when jumped out worked the door, soldered some wire to them long enough to reach the handlebar switch with the remote hidden under the console and presto I had an opener that didnt cost me anything but my time.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

Very cool, Thanks for taking the time to document and share.

M

Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Well, after spending way too much time on this, I've discovered that the instructions are incorrect. For Harley's other than a V-Rod, they specifically state to use the two OUTSIDE wires, the wires going to the vertical blades, which MAY be the black and white wires, but the emphasis is the OUTSIDE wires, which would be the black and yellow wires on my '0-10. In fact, it turns out that it is the black and white wires, making it one OUTSIDE and the MIDDLE wire, or one vertical blade and one horizontal blade.

Even though the instructions for model-years state 'all', it's possible that they don't reflect the '09 and higher frame change.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 01-02-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out. i am getting ready to order 1 and you scared me. I know if anything can go wrong it will go wrong when I do it.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Turbo Flux
Tourer

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
I agree that I wish it had more range. One or two houses away is about as far as this one works. But, it's a lot better than getting off the bike and fishing around in the saddlebag for the remote.
I relocated the receiver/button over next to the garage door and gained another house distance. Just have 2 buttons on the inside now.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

Bought two transmitters and one receiver last Christmas. One for each of our bikes. Works like a charm. Installation instructions were a bit thin on detail, but got it figured out all the same. Thinking about installing a couple on our trucks too.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Larry the Landlord
I know if anything can go wrong it will go wrong when I do it.
I know the feeling, which is why when I tested it before putting the outer fairing back on and all was good, I just couldn't believe it when getting the bike completely back together, it no longer worked. Had my wife there to demo and, tada... nothing. And of course, she's laughing, asking why I didn't test it before putting it all back together. Took me some time to figure out that plugging in the headlight was causing it to ground out, and then make it stop working. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Flash to Pass Garage Door Opener Install